Paphiopedilum purpuratum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Suddenly I cherish my purpuratum more!"

Well, they're not coming out of the wild any more! In fact, I believe that they may be extinct in the wild due mainly to habitat destruction as Hong Kong's growth has exploded over the last couple decades. At least, it's what I've heard. I don't know this for sure; but, I wouldn't doubt it. It seems all too often throughout the world that our cherished plants are important until someone wants to build a parking lot, put up a new building, or build a bunch of new homes. New tax revenue sources tend to trump all else!

Well, they're not coming out of the wild any more! In fact, I believe that they may be extinct in the wild due mainly to habitat destruction as Hong Kong's growth has exploded over the last couple decades. At least, it's what I've heard. I don't know this for sure; but, I wouldn't doubt it. It seems all too often throughout the world that our cherished plants are important until someone wants to build a parking lot, put up a new building, or build a bunch of new homes. New tax revenue sources tend to trump all else!

The following site says they found a population in 2000 but that was 8 years ago, so who knows now.

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/people/tanaka/HK/enhongkong2.html

David

Well, they're not coming out of the wild any more! In fact, I believe that they may be extinct in the wild due mainly to habitat destruction as Hong Kong's growth has exploded over the last couple decades.

Averyaonov has found populations of them in Vietnam, but I think these are also very small populations and the threats to them are probably high too.

Latest posts

Back