Paphiopedilum purpuratum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddybear

Awarded Stud
Reaction score
Been a while since this one bloomed...I missed it!

PaphPurpuratum4_copy.jpg

Very nice.:clap:

I haven't bloomed one of these in a while either. I picked up some from Carter and Holmes this spring, and one is spiking now too. I hope its as nice as yours.

Very nice, Todd. I need another one of these. I lost a really nice clone about 8 years ago and never replaced it. It's such a nice species and they make awesome specimen plants in bloom!

John, I have a bunch. We can trade in the spring... I find it hard to get them to make clumps. The old growth die as fast as the new growths mature. Whats your secret?

Kyle

Beautiful Todd. Great photo.

Mine also hasn't flowered for at least 3 years. The growth is probably just coming up to flowering size. I also can't get it to clump. Just single new growths each time. At least this growth will be a lot bigger than the previous growth which was tiny with only 3 leaves.

David

I got this one years ago from a now defunked nursery called Clargreen. I almost lost it to root rot and its been a long uphill climb.
Seems you and your plant are on the right way, way to go Todd.
P. purpuratum is always worth to be shown here particularly if it's such a beautiful flower in an excellent photo.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

I'd like to know what kind of long term (>5 years) success folks have had with this species.

I've gone through quite a few of these, and have great growth for up to two years and then crap out. Many I lost before setting up my wetpad. I'm pretty sure Ed M has a multigrowth plant he's had for a long time.

I have found they are very sensitive to low humidity and have very thin leaves. Although they come from an area that can get pretty warm in summer, it also likes pretty cool winters, and the summer highs may be offset by very shady conditions.

Do you Canadians in general have better results and generally run things a little darker and cooler than us Southerners??

"John, I have a bunch. We can trade in the spring... I find it hard to get them to make clumps. The old growth die as fast as the new growths mature. Whats your secret?"

Well, Duh! I just found a Paph. purpuratum in my greenhouse! I had forgotten that when Papheteer sold his collection, and I bought it, there was a nice BS purpuratum in the bunch. However, it's not in bud now; so, I guess the earliest I'll see it bloom is next fall. Even so, I'd still be interested in trading in the spring Kyle. When the time comes, I can let you know what I've got and we can see if there's a deal to be made.

My secret?.....Ignorance, I guess. I didn't know it was a hard species to grow into a specimen. Coming from Hong Kong, I grew my plants very warm.......and they multiplied nicely.

"Do you Canadians in general have better results and generally run things a little darker and cooler than us Southerners??"

I'd say in the winter, the answer would be "Yes". When I grew in the basement, my purpuratums were under fluorescent lights (low light) and in the greenhouse, I kept them in the N.E. corner, where it was the darkest. As for temps. In the spring/summer/early fall, my orchid room would consistently get up to 85*F and not go below about 72*F at night. In the winter, the day temps would reach about 75*F and nights would be down to 60*F. The greenhouse would be whatever temperature it was outside during the daytime. I do not have a cooling pad; but, I do have a good exhaust fan and an oversized back vent. Sometimes in the summer, if it was going to be too cool overnight, I'd turn on the heat; but generally, summer nighttime temps in the greenhouse never get below 55*F. Of course, at the hight of summer, the greenhouse can be very warm and muggy overnight.

I got mine in 1989 so it is actually one of my oldest orchids. The plant did fine for several years and went multi-growth but in my early years I did not repot as often as I should and suddenly the plant went downhill and the roots were gone. I had to put the plant in a plastic bag with moss...most of the growths died but then suddenly a new growth formed along with a new root. I babied it along and it bloomed two years ago after about a 6 year hiatus! I now repot almost yearly. Summers are about 70-75 F with nights 65-70 F. Winters are rarely above 65 F day and drop to 55 F at night on a regular basis. I have it in an east window so morning sun in summer but only bright light in winter (on the rare occasions that the sun even shines!). It is growing next to my parvis (two which are in bud! :) )

"I got mine in 1989 so it is actually one of my oldest orchids."

Huh! Then you were one of my first customers! I started working at Clargreen as their Orchid Grower on February 1, 1989 and left on May 2, 1996. That purpuratum would've come in before the CITES ban. We bought a huge shipment of wild collected plants in the spring of '89 from Simanis Orchids in Malaysia. 'Glad that you kept it alive all these years. It's got wild genes.

From the temp standpoint we often struggle down here to keep GH's below 90. With higher ceilings and monster wet pads 85 - 90 is doable though. Summer nights maybe 75. Southern breezes at this time of year often keep humidity pretty high. In the winter we could go to freezing without heat, and when winds come primarily from the North the air gets really dry so the wet pads and foggers get double duty.

Of the successful southern purpuratum I know of, Ed M has a great setup for temp and humidity control. Also he has a ton of plants where smaller stuff can get buried by bigger plants, so they could be more shaded and buffered from drier air by the bigger plants.

I think basic temp and humidity factors could be an issue in my GH, where my generally warm (and bright) loving multis, druryii, exul, and Mexipedium grow like weeds, while many of my Barbata are boom and bust or struggling in comparison. It also fits the pattern that barbata seedlings raised in my indoor box (with much lower light and even temps) beat out the multis hands down, but slow way down after going into the GH.

Small world John! At the time, Clargreen was the main supplier of orchids. Alas, the only ones left are my purpuratum and sukhakulii (purchased in 1990).

Suddenly I cherish my purpuratum more!

Latest posts

Back