Paphiopedilum lowii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the nice comments everyone...

David, this is actually a plant I got from Florafest when they still had Paphs in their catalogue... it's Paph lowii 'Select' x self.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone...

David, this is actually a plant I got from Florafest when they still had Paphs in their catalogue... it's Paph lowii 'Select' x self.

Crikey, a Paph from Florafest that matched its label. Bonus.

David

UPDATE: I took this plant to Species Orchid Society of NSW meeting last night and a couple of the judges had some doubts as to it's label...

can anyone see any Paph haynaldianum influence on this?

Remainder for my message 12-06
A very nice lowii, I like it. On eBay it is a lowii to sell and it is written Paphiopedilum lowii sulawesi form. Is it existing other forms and which are the differences on the point of vue form, color and culture mode? Many thanks in advance for these informations.

UPDATE: I took this plant to Species Orchid Society of NSW meeting last night and a couple of the judges had some doubts as to it's label... .. can anyone see any Paph haynaldianum influence on this?
Imho no, I can't see any other influence neither of P. haynaldianum nor of any other species in this P. lowii flower.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

UPDATE: I took this plant to Species Orchid Society of NSW meeting last night and a couple of the judges had some doubts as to it's label...

Just looks like a straight lowii to me as well. I can't see any haynaldianum in it.

Were these judges Paph growers? I onced benched a normal looking sukhakulii and judges agreed it was a wardii hybrid. I nearly fell over. I lost a bit of faith that day.

David

Tim, tell them they're dreaming. If it did have P.hayn' in it, it would be a P. Toni Semple and thats not a Toni Semple. And thats from an AOC Judge, me.

Thanks Rudolf, David, Roy, Rick... I was a little stunned at proposition that this was anything but lowii in it when i was told... esp when the reasons given as to it having haynaldianum was the 'size of the flower', ie not being big enough compared to the American FCC's; and the arrangement of the spots on the petals seemed like there was a haynaldianum influence.

My biggest question is really, where did all the haynaldianum spots on the dorsal go, if this had that species in it?

Thanks Rudolf, David, Roy, Rick... I was a little stunned at proposition that this was anything but lowii in it when i was told... esp when the reasons given as to it having haynaldianum was the 'size of the flower', ie not being big enough compared to the American FCC's; and the arrangement of the spots on the petals seemed like there was a haynaldianum influence.

My biggest question is really, where did all the haynaldianum spots on the dorsal go, if this had that species in it?

Basically Tim, the Judges who made those comments have no idea. Slipperking is correct with the spotting and the size of flower compared to AOS FCC's is rediculous, they're reading too many books.

Latest posts

Back