Paphiopedilum leuchochilum perfection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This isn’t a plant I grow...yet. I find the group very confusing and their species concept seem somewhat arbitrary but THIS PLANT just blew me away as posted on Facebook and I just had to share it in case anyone in here isn’t on Facebook. My god, it’s just gorgeous. Anybody know where and how to lay hands on a chance at this stunning thing?

Attachments

• 878A2718-8D85-4810-B181-76903B770CAB.png
    878A2718-8D85-4810-B181-76903B770CAB.png
    547.1 KB · Views: 78
Since leucochilum & godefroyae have so many diverse breeding lines, not only sizes , shapes, colors but also patterns.
1) So the chance of getting this particular look (or any particular breeding pattern) is asking the owner, perhaps he has other sibling plants to sell from the same flask which this one came out from .
2) you could also send other orchid sellers this picture, and asking them to keep an eye for any future blooming plant that matches this look for you.

Last edited:
that is a near perfect leuco. No chance you'll (or any mere mortal) will get a division or similar. They are very tightly held. Flasks do become available from time to time. Just watch the quality/provenance.

The only way you're getting one that good here in the US is to spend about $10k on pollen from REALLY nice, like beyond-FCC ones (assuming they will even give it to you at any price) and do your own line breeding for 2 or 3 generations).

Indeed this is a very nice flower. To get one this nice, you will need to buy selected ones from growers, and it will hurt your wallet. They can sell these from USD $300 to $10,000 depending on who you are (private or commercial breeder). OzPaph is right. They are held tightly for their own line breeding (esp Taiwan and Japan) and will only release them if they have a few of them as good or better. I have a few selected black leucochilums that really dented my wallet!

Alternatively you can buy from good breeding lines as mentioned by Hien, but will have 1/500 chances to flower a good one and a 1/1000 chance to flower a fantastic one like the Facebook beauty.

that is a near perfect leuco. No chance you'll (or any mere mortal) will get a division or similar. They are very tightly held. Flasks do become available from time to time. Just watch the quality/provenance.
Ha ha my orchids and I are both so mortal! I won’t chase this plant, I guess...but I would like to see it!

The only way you're getting one that good here in the US is to spend about $10k on pollen from REALLY nice, like beyond-FCC ones (assuming they will even give it to you at any price) and do your own line breeding for 2 or 3 generations).
Lol 3 generations in my Chicago apartment...

Indeed this is a very nice flower. To get one this nice, you will need to buy selected ones from growers, and it will hurt your wallet. They can sell these from USD $300 to $10,000 depending on who you are (private or commercial breeder). OzPaph is right. They are held tightly for their own line breeding (esp Taiwan and Japan) and will only release them if they have a few of them as good or better. I have a few selected black leucochilums that really dented my wallet!

Alternatively you can buy from good breeding lines as mentioned by Hien, but will have 1/500 chances to flower a good one and a 1/1000 chance to flower a fantastic one like the Facebook beauty.
I’ve seen those heavily black ones...definitely impressive! I spend way too much on orchids so I’ll wait on something I can gamble on. I have seen the beauty of compots and flasks...heading toward one year with my first ever flask and it’s going pretty well, really fun to watch them strive and take hold.

i see you needed to use cotton wool to pack the flower open. I assume they are very cupped.
Hey I don’t understand what you mean? I don’t see any cotton wool? These tricks people use on flowers, I don’t understand...I feel blessed by everything that actually opens for me!

They are slightly cupped and cotton is used to travel between shows to prevent bruising.

Yes when I got my first one, I was enthralled for hours!!! I now have around 8 of them, all with different degrees of solid black burgundy.

They are slightly cupped and cotton is used to travel between shows to prevent bruising.

Yes when I got my first one, I was enthralled for hours!!! I now have around 8 of them, all with different degrees of solid black burgundy.
Holy god wow, eight of these??? Amazing. I really appreciate that dedication to variance. I’m also into Neofinetia...the minute variations on theme. I have 5 P. purpuratum has always want another, even if it’s not an alba I’ll provably pick up the next cheap one I do see. I could see myself doing the same with rungsuriyianum if ever I get my hands on them. Sigh.

Latest posts

Back