Paphiopedilum helenae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice helenae! Love the big yellow dorsal! The white edge is missing, this Variation i dont have yet.

Very nice P. helenae. 👍 If my eyes don't decieve me...these are two plants in two pots. But they look very the same. Are they siblings or division?

Very nice P. helenae. 👍 If my eyes don't decieve me...these are two plants in two pots. But they look very the same. Are they siblings or division?
I see some minor differences upon closer look. One has a green dot (don't know what the protrusion is called) on the staminode while the other one has a yellow one. One has more intense yellow dorsal with slightly different pouch both in shape and color saturation.

I see some minor differences upon closer look. One has a green dot (don't know what the protrusion is called) on the staminode while the other one has a yellow one. One has more intense yellow dorsal with slightly different pouch both in shape and color saturation.

Your observations are right.....but maybe its only because one flower is older than the other one ??

......The one on the left is a newer flower than the one on the right.

The green dot on the staminode is called the bos. It may start off green and mature to yellow. Or stay green in some species like my tranlienianum.

These are siblings from Sam (Orchid Inn). The flowers are pretty close, especially both were first open. Some of the differences in the pictures is related to the age of the flowers. Honestly, I probably could not tell them apart if both opened at the same time.

Here are the details behind these sibs: Paph. helenae x sib ('Flat Dorsal' x 'Yellow Bird'). I would like to add another helenae to the collection at some point... I am practicing restraint with add orchids for a while. 🙄

Back