Paphiopedilum Itty Bitty

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phred

Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Itty Bitty (Paph Maudiae ‘Prieta’ AM/AOS x helenae).
Seedlings starting to bloom in their compots. A number of them are very dark and a couple look like they might have light dorsal sepals... we’ll see. The plants are all no bigger than Paph helenae but the influence is quite a bit taller which is very nice. The flower is about the size of a bigger helenae.

861B7C47-C4F5-4785-AC88-B7B3B537AD16.jpeg629A52BD-C119-43AB-B4EB-A1F056DC8722.jpegEDF2A182-B72A-43C8-9D00-562AD5D8B331.jpeg

Last edited:
I have to remember to look up that cross. I wonder what the hybridizer visualized when the cross was made? I am sure curious.
Lol... I’m the hybridizer and this is exactly what I was looking for. More mini material to work with to make tiny Paphs.

Okay. That is good to know. I apparently missed that point.
“More mini material”. So you consider this to be a stepping stone leading to mini Paphiopedilums? Interesting.
It will be cool to see where you move this to, what the next step is.

There's absolutely nothing about this plant and flower that I do not like. It's perfect! I'm really loving the mini Paphs in my collection, and P. helenae and I seem to have a really good track record. Maybe it's something about the NC climate? Either way, mini vini is pretty darned cool if you ask me. Hope to see photos of some of the siblings, though I think this one's going to be hard to beat.

There's absolutely nothing about this plant and flower that I do not like. It's perfect! I'm really loving the mini Paphs in my collection, and P. helenae and I seem to have a really good track record. Maybe it's something about the NC climate? Either way, mini vini is pretty darned cool if you ask me. Hope to see photos of some of the siblings, though I think this one's going to be hard to beat.

Totally agree! The only improvement in my opinion would be slightly larger flower size while retaining the smaller size plant.

Are you planning some sibling crosses or out-crossing this to another Maudiae or small complex hybrid? I think taking two of the darkest siblings and crossing them could give you a greater range of sizes as you get some homozygous genes for size from the Maudiae parent.

Regardless, good luck with future generations.

Back