Paphiopedilum gigantifolium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cute Little cuttlefish like flowers, I'd like to add one to my small collection but have to make space first!

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Those dorsal are very protective of the pouch. Or maybe making sure pollination happens. Congrats for the culture.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. I'm pleased with this year's bloom. I hope I'm able to preserve the older growth as time goes. It would be nice to have a specimen plant flowering on multiple growths years from now.

Paphiopedilum gigantifolium - 36 inches leaf span. Leaf width 3.75 inches. 2 flowers 3 buds. No scent detected. Inflorescence is over 36 inches and growing! 46b3f57d5eebc6be1ac70f6e1df6bee2.jpg
36" ?!? WOW what a whopper!

I wonder what would be an interesting cross with this monster. The Paph. Chiu Hua Dancer came out rather interesting. For that cross, the Paph gigantifolium curly petals made the Paph. sanderianum petals have wider curls than normal, and it was attractive. I wonder what Paph. kolopakingii would do if crossed with this. Smaller blooms, but more of them, and maybe opening at the same time. The possible petal shape would be a mystery, though. What do you think would happen if crossed with PEOY? Huge plant with long stately blooms with a hint of twist in the petals?

Latest posts

Back