Paphiopedilum gigantifolium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Paphiopedilum gigantifolium buds watch

It takes 2 years for the new growth to mature. I was keeping an eye on this new growth 2 weeks ago - then I got busy. Just yesterday I noticed the tall inflorescence and buds that appeared out of no where.

I have this growing side by side with rothschildianum.

a47b536a536b6b1ca837fdb257d37826.jpg

fed0043ed96cdac794518fc8ba988376.jpg

Not many people can have/grow this one...congrats!

I am always be excited by a flowering gigantifolium. What is the LS of your plant? It seems that you grow it under very intense light so that the leave's color turned yellowish.

Let me also share my pool of gigas, although I grow it under relatively strong light, the leaves are still in dark green color, firm and very "fat". I love the leave's shape of this wonderful species. 2 of them have just put off its spike now. Let me see their performance this year.

IMG_0880_zps6i4xawva.jpg

Bummer.... I'll need a greenhouse is what you are saying.

Thank you everyone.

This will be second time this plant flowers. It bloomed in 2015. Common for multiflora species needing time to develop a new growth to mature size, so it skipped a year. I'm relatively new to grow paphs so my observations and experiences are limited.

Re yellowing leaves, this plant is in a 5 inch pot - hanging to save bench space - but most importantly air movement. Needless to say my greenhouse is very crowded like any orchid addict could relate.

I'm not sure if yellow leaves is due to too much light (yes, it is getting a lot of light) or because it hasn't been repotted or if it doesn't get enough water or fertilizer. It's hanging so when I water, not really possible to check every plant if media is dry or not. On average I water paph twice times a week because they are in bark. My feeling is that I tend to underwater.

I don't have high expectation of this year's bloom that its going to be that much better than before. I'm just happy that it flowers. I was watching the new growth getting larger - and was hoping to see new bloom this year. Then I got busy - and there they are -
new buds that seem to appear overnight. Maybe I can try a little bit harder to grow it better - so I wont' lose old growth at the expense of a new growth. I mean, our goal is to have a really big plant blooming on multiple growths.

Leaf span is not too big. Within 36 inches I think. I will measure it when I take an update photo. This plant is smaller than Paphiopedilum Lebeau 'Hsiao' AM/AOS. I like big plants.

Thank you everyone.

This will be second time this plant flowers. It bloomed in 2015. Common for multiflora species needing time to develop a new growth to mature size, so it skipped a year. I'm relatively new to grow paphs so my observations and experiences are limited.

Re yellowing leaves, this plant is in a 5 inch pot - hanging to save bench space - but most importantly air movement. Needless to say my greenhouse is very crowded like any orchid addict could relate.

I'm not sure if yellow leaves is due to too much light (yes, it is getting a lot of light) or because it hasn't been repotted or if it doesn't get enough water or fertilizer. It's hanging so when I water, not really possible to check every plant if media is dry or not. On average I water paph twice times a week because they are in bark. My feeling is that I tend to underwater.

I don't have high expectation of this year's bloom that its going to be that much better than before. I'm just happy that it flowers. I was watching the new growth getting larger - and was hoping to see new bloom this year. Then I got busy - and there they are -
new buds that seem to appear overnight. Maybe I can try a little bit harder to grow it better - so I wont' lose old growth at the expense of a new growth. I mean, our goal is to have a really big plant blooming on multiple growths.

Leaf span is not too big. Within 36 inches I think. I will measure it when I take an update photo. This plant is smaller than Paphiopedilum Lebeau 'Hsiao' AM/AOS. I like big plants.

Thank you for your reply. I also like big plant too, so that most of my collections are multiflorals. But I am not sure about the current health condition of this flowering giga, it seems the leaves are very "thin" and the plant is a bit thirsty by noting the winkle patterns of the leaves. To my understanding, a healthy giga leaves shall be wide, firm and pain.

Paphiopedilum gigantifolium - 36 inches leaf span. Leaf width 3.75 inches. 2 flowers 3 buds. No scent detected. Inflorescence is over 36 inches and growing! 46b3f57d5eebc6be1ac70f6e1df6bee2.jpg

Latest posts

Back