Paphiopedilum fairrieanum 'Hoffart'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisk

Reaction score
A nice little fairrieanum just out in flower. A number of people have told me they have trouble with this species, but I've found it to be quite reliable over the last 3 years. The flowers keep getting bigger and improving in shape.

17842080990_7cf0628d9e_c.jpg

I prefer more purple in the flower, but the dorsal is wide and the petals not as reflexed as many. Very nice!

P.S.
I never had any problems with this species either.

It's growing in a 90mm x 180 mm pot with 10mm coconut husk chips and a handful of shell grit (calcium carbonate). It's grown quite shady under my back verandah. Light is around 600fc. Fertilising is done 1-3 time per week depending on watering, and 10% recommended strength. Only rainwater is used. Temperatures in summer can get up to 45°C, and down to 1°C in winter, though these are extremes and not very common.

Attachments

• IMG_3640.jpg
    IMG_3640.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 22
It's growing in a 90mm x 180 mm pot with 10mm coconut husk chips and a handful of shell grit (calcium carbonate). It's grown quite shady under my back verandah. Light is around 600fc. Fertilising is done 1-3 time per week depending on watering, and 10% recommended strength. Only rainwater is used. Temperatures in summer can get up to 45°C, and down to 1°C in winter, though these are extremes and not very common.

I'm begining to think a long cold and dry dormancy is what this species needs? Next winter I might put me seedlings outside and treat them mean.

I'm begining to think a long cold and dry dormancy is what this species needs? Next winter I might put me seedlings outside and treat them mean.

Another grower here has them in an unheated humid plastic house, that gets cold nights and warmer day temps and it doesn't flower reliably or grow as well. I find my method works well for even tiny seedlings. I had a wogged flask with underdeveloped plants, and put them out in a compot anyway, and many of them are still alive and growing nicely.

I usually prefer the the darker colored fairries but this one has a good shape and a beautiful pattern!
Thanks for this well done photograph!

Latest posts

Back