Paphiopedilum Edna Ratcliffe 'Orlando'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondie

Reaction score
Hi Morning afternoon and evening.

I am very happy to have this one in flower. I am a little pissed as I broke the thrid bud off in the time of bringing all the orchid back in the to the greenhouse (oh well).

I fell in love with this hybrid when I saw it at a big UK orchid show. It was my first ever big orchid show, I would have been 15 at the time. It was my first time meeting Ratcliffe after some what a years emails back and fourth.
I made a be-line for there stand, and was the first time I had ever met Claudia and Nick, I got on with them really well and was shown this hybrid. It was only a display plant and at the time I could not aford a peice.

I am very happy I didn't though, as it would have perished along with my oginal paph and orchid collection.

When I met Paul for the first time nearly every month I saw him, I would ask about the plants, then I moved to Singapore.

Then when i saw it on the list and they were closeing down I finally got my hands on it. I honeslty can say seeing it in bloom takes me back to the very first time I saw this hybrid.

On the lable in bracets it says best I dont know what that means to be honest.

Just a short anecdote about the grex name and a caution when naming plants after people. Edna was quite enamoured with the complex Paphs but on more than one occasion referred to the multis as rubbish, ironic that a multi should bear her name.

Yes I was told the first time I said about it that Claudia's grandmother idid not like the flower. As they where known for complex paphs

Thought I would add a pic of both floweres fully open.
Still annoyed at breaking the third flower on the spike but I'll jus thave to wait for the next spike.

That is a beautiful multi ..it says 'look at me ain't I pretty ' damm right I say ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back