Paphiopedilum coccineum not

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this plant flowering within a batch of coccineum. I think it could be a natural hybrid between coccineum and henryanum:

Most likely - yes it seems to be. But natural hybrid means, you or any collector found it in the wild at it's origin ? Otherwise it should be a man made hybrid?

Most likely - yes it seems to be. But natural hybrid means, you or any collector found it in the wild at it's origin ? Otherwise it should be a man made hybrid?

I choose it at a nurserey, which imported the plants.

a great one where did you get it

Thanks! O&M

What's to say this isn't simply the extreme of natural variation?

Self the plant and see what turns up among the progeny.

Will do so next time, it isn`t in bloom anymore.

barbigerum var lockianum = barbigerum var coccineum = paph coccineum. There is a debate about if paph coccineum is a varity of barbigerum or it's own separate species.

Extremely interesting flower you have Martin. It appears as though the warts/spots on the dorsal actually are raise up on the surface. Paph henryanum doesn't have raised warts on the dorsal nor the petals does it? I don't remember my barbigerum having any spotting on the flower segments. Its there raised warts?

Extremely interesting flower you have Martin. It appears as though the warts/spots on the dorsal actually are raise up on the surface. Paph henryanum doesn't have raised warts on the dorsal nor the petals does it? I don't remember my barbigerum having any spotting on the flower segments. Its there raised warts?
Sorry that i didn't answer. The arent raised i would say, If i understand raised in the right way.

For all who are intrested, i can now offer flasks of this type. If intrested please PM me.

This is described as Paphiopedilum x aspersum, the natural hybrid between barbigerum var. coccineum and henryanum, It is very variabel and you could find it very often between coccineum.
Paphiopedilum × aspersum Aver. 2002 in Komarovia 2: 17; 2002
Synonym:
Paphiopedilum barbigerum var. aspersum (Aver.) Aver., Turczaninowia 11(1): 72; 2008
Best greetings
Olaf

Latest posts

Back