Paphiopedilum charlesworthii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is the extreem summer heat without sufficient night time cooling that kills these off. My friend in Mississippi lost his Indian Sub-Continent and Chinese Paphs for the same reason. You have to get a good temperature drop at night, in addition to protecting them from temperatures above 90F. Try keeping charlesworthii and fairianum in the coldest room of an air conditioned house. If at all possible get the night temp below 70F for at least 4 hours a night. The daytime heat by itself is not the biggest problem, it is the lack of cooling at night that really does it. A constant 70 F won't work either, they do want the day-night temperature change.

Thanks for the info Leo. I'll have to come up with a plan the next time I run across a charlesworthii I want to buy.

Bummer!
I would guess the heat. According to Lance's book, charlesworthii 87-62 summer, 63-40 winter & fairrieanum 65-90 days, 68-40 nights. Supposedly both are easy to flower as long as one meets a 20 degree day/night differential BUT if one can't get them to grow, there will be no flowers.:sob:

Thanks for those temp tips! I'll have to add both of those to my collection now. Does henryanum like the same?

Right on! I'll be sure to get all three! That is, if I have any money to spare coming into this recession. :( :sob:

Latest posts

Back