Paphiopedilum charlesworthii forma sandowiae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These charlesworthii fma sandowiea are blooming again. They are amazingly vigorous things. At this point, they are blooming 2-3 times a year.

Meanwhile, my type charlesworthii makes me jump through hoops and beg for flowers.
I have noticed the same thing... Not sure I'm getting 3 flowers a year, but easily twice. They almost feel like separate species at this point (maybe they always were?). I wonder if something has been lost in the type form with all the emphasis on flower form and size. Might be interesting to find some older, free flowering clones and cross them to the new ones (if they ever bloom).

For what it is worth, my yellow besseae are about twice as vigorous as my normal red ones. Which is weird.

I normally prefer the type species but this green and pure white combination works for me too. Nice specimen plant and nice flower.

I am no longer an addict but I do want one...if anyone has an extra one to spare, please drop me a PM and we can work out a deal if it is possible.

I normally prefer the type species but this green and pure white combination works for me too. Nice specimen plant and nice flower.

I am no longer an addict but I do want one...if anyone has an extra one to spare, please drop me a PM and we can work out a deal if it is possible.
Once an addict always an addict with orchids;)

@littlefrog - thanks for sharing your experience and validating mine. The idea that line breeding has resulted in more difficult to bloom charlesworthii is interesting. There has been so much emphasis on flower shape and size that maybe ease of bloom was left out of the equation. Charlesworthii does not seem to be a species commonly considered difficult to bloom, at leat by those who grow them. As least the conversation is not like many of the multi-florals that were notoriously difficult to bloom until line breeding focused on ease of bloom.

My besseae flavum is in spike now. It is pretty vigorous also but it is older than my other besseae... I think.

Now back on track for this species--how is this variety different than the alba/album form? I saw OL listed the alba form available for $65.

Maybe...I have not bought a new orchid for many years...but now I am feeling kinda itchy, especially this time of the year(too much indoor time)
Wow, no new orchid purchases for many years! That's impressive restraint. Now, let me help your celebrate your achievement... Hillsview Gardens These are the same parents as my cross. I am guessing they are from the same breeding, since I bought my compot from Hillsview.

Wow, no new orchid purchases for many years! That's impressive restraint.
Since I got rid of my mixed collection(~1000 plants), 7 years ago? Hey, no enabler is needed here!

Wait! I did buy a P. emersonii from someone here 4-5 years ago.

Why did get rid of your collection and stop buying
We wanted to downsize the house, retire, and travel the world, so the orchids had to go first before putting the house on the market...orchid collection had gone(except about 20 plants I wanted to keep/couldn't sell for the price...), but downsizing had never been materialized.
I don't regret getting rid of them because it is impossible to travel often and for long if I still have the collection, especially for some of the high-maintenance species that I had.
Why stop buying? I am not an addict anymore😅 Seriously tho, it is the same reason why I got rid of my collection--travel the world! You can't have a big collection if you want to travel often. 20 plants(potted) are enough for my time and space(windowsill) for now....
Edit, I did add about 4 plants through trade since then. so bought one plant and 4 through trade, that is not too bad for 7-8 years

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back