paphiopedilum canhii seedling

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S1245675 that is very true, beleive me, on this site, I'm not joking if some of these people could get a hold of those pods would burn them.. maybe some of these people just flat out hates these paphs or are police agents, not sure....

I just collected hundreds of wild fruit but very confusing that I should send it of or not...,

If I was you canhii, I would do everything I could to save the species, do what you feel is right!! That should be ok by the universe

No problem Mr Canh. I understand the hesitation. If you change your mind you may message me privately or email me anytime. You can select the option to email me through the forum.

My intention is to send them to 3 different labs and pay for the fees to have them flasked. It is something that should be done. We all know that you collect only the fruit and want to maintain the species and the natural habitat. The flasking would ensure both to the best of our abilities as collectors of rare species. Thank you for your efforts regardless of your decision. We all here very much appreciate your posts and information.

I have legal plants, so I will work on flasking it anyway. one plant is now in spike and hopefully soon others. I t is important to flask it to save the species given it is nearly extinct in the wild. Plant smugglers wont stop. keeping it rare in cultivation only helps them by creating a black market.

Can you tell us the growing tips? temperature, mix, watering & fertilizing regimes and such?

I hope you eventually succeed!

I have found culturally this plant will grow well in equal parts small bark, styrofoam, and large perlite. I put a bed of live moss on top of the mix. As the mix is very light and airy, I water every day or two as they like moisture, just not wet.

Temperature: Summer, maximum of 30c and a drop to 20c at night is ideal. Winter: days of 18-20c and nights around 10c. They can go as low as 5c quite happily.

They like very high humidity, and good air movement.

As for flasking, my knowledge on this is minimal as I didnt make the flasks I got. I was told germination rates were low, and this was reflected in the amount of plants in the flasks that I got. I suspect that we have to look at the Ph of the humous over the limestone they grow in and experiment with Ph of the agar.

I just collected hundreds of wild fruit but very confusing that I should send it of or not...,
Just my opinion ,
1) if you have a facility in Vietnam which could do flasking in Vietnam then by all means do it there.
If you don't have the facility to germinate them, what you could do is:
2) get some soil/moss near the plants in the wild as the substrate to germinate them (there will likely be some fungus in this soil that symbiotic and compatible with paph canhii and will grow into the seeds thus provide them nutrition source , this is how peoples do it in the past before artificial flasking comes onto the scene (but this approach will not yield any more plants than nature, which is only a few plants out of thousands of seeds)
3) send the seed pods to as many peoples as you can around the world, thus ensure the survival of diversity of the gene pool , once this species become common in cultivation , the profit temptation from harvest the wild plants should abate (although inside the country, peoples still collect wild plants that offered by minority highlanders, since it is not illegal , and gods know how many of those wild plants would survive more than a year with peoples who just buy them for the flowers to decorate the room for one season ) that is the reason to send the seeds around the world , perhaps those who do the flaskings can send some flasks back to you , you then grow the seedlings and pass them on to other orchid growers in Vietnam to ensure the orchids with your name sake are everywhere.

Just my opinion ,
1) if you have a facility in Vietnam which could do flasking in Vietnam then by all means do it there.
If you don't have the facility to germinate them, what you could do is:
2) get some soil/moss near the plants in the wild as the substrate to germinate them (there will likely be some fungus in this soil that symbiotic and compatible with paph canhii and will grow into the seeds thus provide them nutrition source , this is how peoples do it in the past before artificial flasking comes onto the scene (but this approach will not yield any more plants than nature, which is only a few plants out of thousands of seeds)
3) send the seed pods to as many peoples as you can around the world, thus ensure the survival of diversity of the gene pool , once this species become common in cultivation , the profit temptation from harvest the wild plants should abate (although inside the country, peoples still collect wild plants that offered by minority highlanders, since it is not illegal , and gods know how many of those wild plants would survive more than a year with peoples who just buy them for the flowers to decorate the room for one season ) that is the reason to send the seeds around the world , perhaps those who do the flaskings can send some flasks back to you , you then grow the seedlings and pass them on to other orchid growers in Vietnam to ensure the orchids with your name sake are everywhere.

Thank you very much for your opinion. I'm doing all of your points and the first and second I have been trying for some years already.

Latest posts

Back