Wardian Case (Grand Cayman model) Advice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Tom! I was just thinking early this AM that I should text you to check in.

How happy are you with the fogger? Curious how long the run is from the generator to the end of the pipe?

Ty
The expandable tube stretches to 5 feet, so I have it up and over. Note it can go up then down, but can’t go down then up. Ie can’t have a belly which would fill with condensate and stop fog.
Yes I’m happy so far. I’m controlling it with a humidistat for on/off mode and it has a volume flow control knob. I’m still just playing so don’t know what the setup will be as the weather changes.
See you Sunday?

I have two in there at the moment the one you noticed is Tolu Popoki, the other is Zelemina ‘Midas’.
Thanks. It's funny because it is so similar to my Tolumnia Tequila Sunrise.

Attachments

• Tolumnia Tequila Sunrise.JPG
    Tolumnia Tequila Sunrise.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1
I think you maybe be right and mine maybe mislabeled. Mine looks a whole lot more like a T sunrise than Popoki which appears to run in the pinks. Now that I think about mines source I’m convinced.
Thanks
Tom

I think you maybe be right and mine maybe mislabeled. Mine looks a whole lot more like a T sunrise than Popoki which appears to run in the pinks. Now that I think about mines source I’m convinced.
Thanks
Tom

Don’t arbitrarily start changing labels. Tolumnia hybrids are highly variable - Jairak Flier alone probably has dozens of differently colored cultivars, if not more - and how it is grown affects the appearance greatly.

Eric
I have been thinking about your admonition. Can you say more about what led to the catastrophe? If its really an ugly story please feel free to PM.
No shame in my game. I had bunches of miniature plants, mostly Pleurothallids, in a fish tank, fans, ultrasonic foggers, lights, away from Sun. In the summer, the Temps rose to unmanageable levels and all the plants steamed away.

You could get a small fridge, water reservoir and a water pump and pipe cold water through a radiator inside the tank to chill it. Don't know how effective active cooling will be for a glass enclosure though.
In the PC builder world, people make their own cooling systems for gaming PCs. I wonder if you could rig up something similar to create a cool growing terrarium for orchids...granted, rigging up a custom liquid CPU cooler to your terrarium might keep things a bit too cool, consider the idea is you're cooling off a, well, CPU that can potentially get up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit or more. I know some people make them adjustable, though.

Probably not as cheap as getting a mini fridge and doing it that way, too.

In the PC builder world, people make their own cooling systems for gaming PCs. I wonder if you could rig up something similar to create a cool growing terrarium for orchids...granted, rigging up a custom liquid CPU cooler to your terrarium might keep things a bit too cool, consider the idea is you're cooling off a, well, CPU that can potentially get up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit or more. I know some people make them adjustable, though.

Probably not as cheap as getting a mini fridge and doing it that way, too.
Thanks for that suggestion.
In poking around I saw some computer/pancake fans with heat exchangers attached, that would blowing cold air.
I keep looking for small heat exchangers to couple with the refrigerator idea.
They also make aquarium chillers but would still need a resivor.

I would love to have a cloud forest collection but may have to stick with the tougher types.

And they make aquarium chiller machines.

Latest posts

Back