Paphiopedilum canhii blooming

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very nice. It does not "creep me out" or give me any sort of reason to not like it. I think it's interesting and beautiful. Plus, it's got gorgeous foliage as well. Where do they come from? Are they in flask yet?

Thanks for the additional pics; while I appreciate the effort, the cigarette doesn't help much since we don't know it's length and they do vary greatly by up to several inches (+ or - 5cm); I find it hard to believe you don't own a ruler. There are no cigarettes in my house. I would have to go buy several packs of different lengths to even try to estimate the size of that flower.

I think it's an unfair assumtion to say he doesn't own a ruler. Maybe the cigarette was all he had on hand at the time for a quick reference. Regardless if it is + or - 5 cm, it is a small plant and flower. I'm sure we will get 'proper' measurements in time.

Oh, I'm sorry... but it should not too difficult to find one cigs right????

Maybe smoking is more 'popular' where you are, but a lot of us don't smoke and never have. Could you take another photo for us with a ruler or something else more of us could relate to?

Where are you from and where did you take these photos? Looks like a very nice specimen, although I've only seen 2, so far. Very nice photo too.

OK, I will make a photo with the rule but not now (I'm in office now).
I'm in Vietnam and all flower photo of this species I took at my home and most of plant specimen I took from forest where I found it originally. I found this species in November 2009 and it official announce as a new species in May 2010 (in AOS magazine in US).

One more specimen for the one who love the leaves.

Paphiopedilumcanhii.jpg

Nice! Thanks! Again, the leaf undersides- I can't imagine a combination of species that would give us that either.

Rick,
It costs more to sowing seed from vietnam than to purchase plants. So, not many people flasking it. However, I will show you my canhii on snowy & cold outside and popcorn flask. NYEric, no....i dont forget about u
BD

The AOS article lists the type flower's ns as 6-8cm.

And yes, FLASKS!!!

The locals are selling canhii about 400kms away from the location shown in the original thread so it must have a wide distribution.:confused: I cant imagine they would transport the plants from one remote location to another to sell but anything is possible.;)

you'd have to go buy several packs of cigarettes to find out what size it is??
gimme a break
its a few inches.

Out of curiosity, and I admit not following this plant's story, has canhii been grouped? By that I mean, is it considered a parvi, barbatum, etc?

"According to the most modern taxonomic system for the genus Paphiopedilum, our plant may be provisionally placed into section Barbata (Kraenzl.) V.A. Albert & B. Pettersen (Cribb 1998; Averyanov et al. 2003). However, such sectional placement remains uncertain. The differences in the leaves, the staminode and also the lip, as well as the lack of warts on petals, separate this new species from the typical "Barbata-species." Further studies of this species may place it in a separate section having a transitional taxonomic position between section Barbata (subgenus Paphiopedilum) and section Parvisepalum Aver.& P.J. Cribb (subgenus Parvisepalum Karas. & Saito)." http://www.hoalanvietnam.org/article-print.asp?url=/Article.asp&ID=681

I'd be very surprised if this plant isn't in half a dozen different counties by now. I wonder how the wild population is going. I'd hate to see it collected out of existence within 12 months like vietnamense was. Paph vietnamense has survived in cultivation because of some desirable characteristics but can the same be said for this species? If this species was to become extinct. would it still be in cultivation in 10 years?

Regards, Mick

Latest posts

Back