Paphiopedilum canhii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Paphiopedilum canhii is blooming at the moment, the staminode of this species is very pretty. No merit, I received it budding.
Don't want to hijack your thread but I find it interesting how much the flowers can differ. Perhaps this is also due to the fact that there are many different wild plants in circulation and therefore the diversity is much greater than with decades of selfing genetically similar plants in vitro.

20240411_163600_b.jpg

I'm hoping legal artificially propagated individuals of this species become available in the USA some time soon. It's such a wonderful looking species and I really like miniatures. The flowers look like they'd pair well with multiflorals in terms of hybridization, too. So, seems like a potential avenue for bringing down the size of multifloral hybrids, hopefully without drastically altering the shape and color of the flowers too much.

I'm hoping legal artificially propagated individuals of this species become available in the USA some time soon. It's such a wonderful looking species and I really like miniatures. The flowers look like they'd pair well with multiflorals in terms of hybridization, too. So, seems like a potential avenue for bringing down the size of multifloral hybrids, hopefully without drastically altering the shape and color of the flowers too much.
Had to double check. But hengduan biotech has canhii in their current preorder and ship listing.

Don't want to hijack your thread but I find it interesting how much the flowers can differ. Perhaps this is also due to the fact that there are many different wild plants in circulation and therefore the diversity is much greater than with decades of selfing genetically similar plants in vitro.

View attachment 46909
Great observation and thank you for posting this! Unfortunately there are some who would argue with you until hell freezes over that every variation in a flower makes a totally new and distinct species, that natural variation doesn’t exist.

Best,

Back