Paphiopedilum canhii blooming

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your comment.
This one was not the last year plant, a difference one.

Very interesting. Looks a lot better than the first photos I've seen of this species/natural hybrid! It looks very compact and a small flower - can you give us some measurements?

Hi Canh,very nice one!Thats convince me more that is a genuine new species.
Also can be that some of the strange hiepii,angustatum Paphs are natural hybrids between canhii and malipoense/Jackii

This is the first time I see this new species. If this is a parvi, then it is the first parvi that has longish narrow petals. The leaves are also very unusual. Thanks for showing.

After 10 days fully open.

Paphiopedilumcanhii15.jpg

Paphiopedilumcanhii12.jpg

and How big it is (this is one of the biggest plant and flower)

Paphiopedilumcanhii13.jpg

Paphiopedilumcanhii14.jpg

Dang, that flower is a lot bigger than I expected.

I can't imagine any combination of species that would give a staminode like that. ???

The leaves are gorgeous.

I like it, creepiness and all.

Oh, I'm sorry... but it should not too difficult to find one cigs right????

One more..... strange...

Paphiopedilumcanhii16.jpg

Wow! It's got a great profile and the pollinator is a two pound purple frog.:poke:

Thanks for the additional pics; while I appreciate the effort, the cigarette doesn't help much since we don't know it's length and they do vary greatly by up to several inches (+ or - 5cm); I find it hard to believe you don't own a ruler. There are no cigarettes in my house. I would have to go buy several packs of different lengths to even try to estimate the size of that flower.

Plant in the wild this year.

_DSC0014.jpg

This seems to be a very poor habitat - poor in light or poor in nutrients, because there is only moos growing next to these Paphs. But very high humidity, I guess. What kind of soil are they growing in?

Gorgeous! Now I must have some!! I didn't like the original greenish one but this I like. Thanx for the size reference photos. I can imagine it behind the school house smoking to impress all the parvi-chicks! :p

So does it put out a smoke smell in hopes of attracting cigarettes as it's pollinator? ;)

The foliage is spectacular....and I can't help but love a flower that creeps me out so much. (But I feel ill at even the sight of a cigarette....)

I agree Eric - to that whole statement. I think this is one I might have to have, although it might be many years before it gets over here.

Latest posts

Back