Paphiopedilum armeniacum (group photo)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
This is the first time all 3 of my armeniacums have bloomed together. The one on the left is blooming for me for the first time since I got it 6 years ago. It was a free-bee from a vendor at an orchid show and when I got it all of its leaves had rotted away in shipping (I guess that's why it was free), but the roots were alive. I put it in basket culture like the others and it now has about 30 growths and its first flower. I think that it was worth the wait (single flower image). I'm sorry about the picture quality, but I can't move them from the growing area because of their size.

Paphiopedilumarmeniacumflower1sttimeonleafless03-16-2012.jpg
[/IMG]

Paphiopedilumarmeniacumgroupa03-16-2012.jpg
[/IMG]

Paphiopedilumarmeniacumgroupc03-16-2012.jpg
[/IMG]

Paphiopedilumarmeniacumgroupb03-16-2012.jpg
[/IMG]

Holy crap that's awesome! Can you give us some details on your basket culture method? I have an armeniacum seedling in need of better culture.

Holy crap that's awesome! Can you give us some details on your basket culture method? I have an armeniacum seedling in need of better culture.

Sure. The baskets are standard heavy-gauge wire baskets you can get from a garden center. These are about 1 foot in diameter and half as deep. I line the basket with long-fibered sphagnum moss and then fill the center with standard Paph. mix (fir bark, perlite, charcoal). The mix rots and falls out of the bottom over time and I just keep top dressing to make up the difference. I grow them in "cattleya" light (1/2 day of full sun equivalent). The temps. are about 80F in the day and 70F at night in the summer and 10F cooler in the winter. I water daily in the summer and about every other day in winter (NEVER let them dry out there is no need for a dry winter rest). I fertilize weakly weekly with urea-free fertilized at 125-150 ppm.

What are you going to do when they outgrow their pots? :poke:

WOW!

I don't know. The middle basket has been together for about 10 years and the basket is a mass of roots with very little potting mix left. I suppose I would divide and replant when pushed.

I seem to recall from a previous post on these plants that you also top dress occasionally with lime or limestone?

I seem to recall from a previous post on these plants that you also top dress occasionally with lime or limestone?

At one time I added lime quarterly, but now with pellitized limestone, I add it one per year. Thanks for reminding me.

i also agree with Rick...if this forum ever goes with the hall of fame idea (I'm on the fence on that one myself), this growing would definitely be a candidate.

Poor JP I can only WISH I had your problem of "not being able to move" for a better photo! HaHaHa! Damn! Those are just super awsome plants!

What about micranthum? Do you grow it the same way?

Latest posts

Back