Paphiopedilum armeniacum (group photo)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPMC, How do you lay the sphagnum moss without them falling down?

I use the long-fibered type and it stays in place pretty well. Once I put the growing medium (fir bark, perlite and charcoal) in the middle, the weight of it holds the moss to the side of the basket.

What hell do you do with these "poor" armeniacums....by the way: last time I saw your picture you had only one basket giant armeniacum....and now as I may have triple vision...????

I just reread this wonderful thread! JPMC you are now a legend, if not a full fledged Hall of Famer! The armeni Guru to all of us! Such a guy!

How have you not taken these to judging yet? The flower quality is great. I am sure even the smallest basket could get a CCM and the largest basket well............no question.

I picked up a few Paph. armeniacum ('#212' x '#210'). Thank you, Doug. I decided to run a basket for these and not mess with any moss or coconut fiber lining. I'm excited to see how they turn out.

IMG_2875.jpg

How have you not taken these to judging yet? The flower quality is great. I am sure even the smallest basket could get a CCM and the largest basket well............no question.

The plants are hard enough to move from one place in the growing room to another. To travel to a show would be a level of difficulty that I have yet to attempt. Because the plants are growing from all directions, you can't ever set them down without breaking a growth or two (I tried a tripod design that I thought would get around the problem but it didn't work either). Also, when in full bloom the plants are about 4-5 feet in diameter. I think I would have to rent a moving van to transport them while keeping them permanently suspended.

I would rent the moving van just to see the look on the judges face. It would be worth it. You know you would walk away with something.

Latest posts

Back