Paphio mastersianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:clap: I'm going to have to get one just for the stam! :drool: :clap:
Hawaii Wings isn't quite as extreme!

Nice flowers especially the P. masterianum - i like it. The shape of its staminode is a fairly odd one. It reminds me of the tale of an earwig.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Love it...now I'm hoping for my mastersianums to bloom. They are actually easy enough to bloom...just not that easy to keep alive...but mine have been doing well for almost 2 years....Take care, Eric

Love it .... They are actually easy enough to bloom...just not that easy to keep alive...but mine have been doing well for almost 2 years....Take care, Eric

What's the difficulty? Maybe others could chime in! I find Hawaii Wings is easy in all repsects. The other parent is hennisianum, is it overriding cultural issues, even though HW looks alot like masterisanum?

Hybrids of mastersianum are perfectly easy to grow. The species, on the other hand, is very much like its relative violascens. Likes shade, high humidity, and grows slowly. I find that they do well enough for a few years, then just decline and die. I have 2 right now, that I got as large seedlings, 1.5 to 2 years ago. Had they been callosums, they would have already bloomed by now...but they still haven't reached flowering size. They are also very prone to leaf tip browning, so they both have pretty well trimmed leaves. I have them in my light garden...humidity tends to be around 40%, even though there is a humidifier in the room. Still, they are doing well. Summer is make or break time- they grow well outdoors in the shade, but if they are going to die, that's the time. As I said though, if they live, they are not at all hard to bloom. Take care, Eric

I have a couple too that have done so-so. I has bloomed and the other blasted 2 times. Keeping the shade levels high and humidity >70% I think is key. They also don't seem to like to get as cold as other barbata.

I got some pollen from Uri last year when ours were both in bloom, and it looks like we got seed germination at Troy's a few weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back