Paphio lowii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIN

Reaction score
Native species from my country.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 33
The image is too dark, I can't see it, what part of the world do you live in? For this to bloom in the north western hemisphere this time of year is way off

The image is too dark, I can't see it, what part of the world do you live in? For this to bloom in the north western hemisphere this time of year is way off
I will take a better photos later, by the way I live in Malaysia and only have 2 seasons here wet and hot. There no resting period for the above species thanks for your comment.

That is good to know!! It could bloom possibly 2 times a year under equitorial tropical conditions, can I ask you what else you have, that bloom regularly?? Do you grow and bloom roth?

That is good to know!! It could bloom possibly 2 times a year under equitorial tropical conditions, can I ask you what else you have, that bloom regularly?? Do you grow and bloom roth?
Here I attached more clear pictures.
I have been collecting the the Paph species since last year and the most regular blooms are under the section Brachy such as niveum, concolor bellatulum the rest still under observation and now observing species like sukhakulli, hainanense, potentianum , appletonianum in lower buds will post later.I have a few roths with brown and red pouch from different location. The brown pouch basically from the area of Telupid and the red pouch from the Mount Kinabalu. So far they are in a good conditions maybe just a matter of time to observe the spike later.Finger crossed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 28
Thank you din!! Lower and higher elevation roths.. I have been hearing they require a winter rest to bloom, I never thought they did, if yours grow and bloom in malaysia lowland then.. we'll see, I like to keep my temps the same all year 68-70 nights and 80-90 days, under these conditions I am blooming cattyleas bulbophyllums, papahs and phrags, what all do you grow?

Thank you din!! Lower and higher elevation roths.. I have been hearing they require a winter rest to bloom, I never thought they did, if yours grow and bloom in malaysia lowland then.. we'll see, I like to keep my temps the same all year 68-70 nights and 80-90 days, under these conditions I am blooming cattyleas bulbophyllums, papahs and phrags, what all do you grow?

That great troy one day the roth will bloom for you be positive. Under my atmosphere a part from paphs I have some Cattleya species, large number of vanda species, Dendrobium species too, nice collection of Phalenopsis species, some Bulbos and gastrochilous .They are happy under my care but need to observe the natural enemy like weevil which will destroy them in few weeks.

Hi DIN,

Can you share your culture on Lowii's, media, fert, watering (wet/moist all the time?) and light (very shady?) How big are your plants?

Thanks

Hi DIN,

Can you share your culture on Lowii's, media, fert, watering (wet/moist all the time?) and light (very shady?) How big are your plants?

Thanks

Here I'm using pumice stones along with charcoal and oyster shells as a medium so far doing quite well for me,water once a day and fertilized twice a week with organic and wood vinegar the medium getting more drier towards evening but the moisture remain there. For your info most of the time this species is epiphyte and the distribution very wide in Asia. I have 3 different clones from Kalimantan ,Pontianak they grow in swampy area with wider leaves, another clone from Java Island and was told the flower relatively different a bit and clone from Peninsular Malaysia relatively smaller leaves as compared to lowland type, they enjoyed bright light and cool night Mine got 2 fans only but still very small plant.

Thanks Din. What's a wood vinegar? Mine has the wider leaves so maybe it could use more moisture, Pontianak is low elevation with swamps?

Thanks Din. What's a wood vinegar? Mine has the wider leaves so maybe it could use more moisture, Pontianak is low elevation with swamps?

Pyroligneous acid, also called wood vinegar or wood acid, is a dark liquid produced by the destructive distillation of wood and other plant materials. I'm using quite sometimes the roots also leaves looks very nice every time after I sprayed and the smell is unbelievable but still can tolerate it , every 1 mil of W.vinegar I need to add one liter of water I noticed the paphs really like it.
Pontianak about 100 kilometer from Kuching Sarawak is a swampy area with a lot of Phalenopsis corningiana and zibrana growing together with paph lowii, now massive deforestation for oil palm plantations is low altitude.

Latest posts

Back