Paph lowii aureum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first multifloral to bloom! Plant is marked album but I believe it’s considered aureum because of the markings. Does this plant tend to lean as it grows? Both of my lowii appear to have that habit. Any tips for staking? Based on the lean I wasn’t sure of the best approach.

Attachments

• 0E027505-11BB-4D4F-899F-1DDEAFDE5AFF.jpeg
    0E027505-11BB-4D4F-899F-1DDEAFDE5AFF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 2745F927-679D-4548-AAD3-8852E8AE0D52.jpeg
    2745F927-679D-4548-AAD3-8852E8AE0D52.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Very nice start. Yes, lowii leans hard and it's best to go with it. You will fight a loosing battle trying to stake upright. If there is a candidate for hanging basket culture, lowii would be it.

That is delightful. I agree with Rick in regards to staking. But I would stake it a little bit from the base of the spike so the flowers are held a little higher.

...... Plant is marked album but I believe it’s considered aureum because of the markings. .....
Even without the dark spots it wouldn't be 'album' but 'aureum'. Album flowers are usually green/white ones.
Congrats to bloo such lovely flowers just for the very first multifloral.

That would be what some call a 'sanderae' type of lowii.

Real albinos are recessive, and when bred with coloratum, give coloratum progeny.

those 'sanderae' types, like the eponymous insigne var. sanderae are definitely not recessive, and in fact when bred with coloratum plants can give anything, from a 'nearly albino with a bit of color' flower up to those pastels/dilute colors we see. In fact they are to me more valuable than a real albino, because they have a potential to breed directly something interesting. A 'real albino' that has no color at all needs a 2 step to have something different, each time one breeds with them...

That would be what some call a 'sanderae' type of lowii.

Real albinos are recessive, and when bred with coloratum, give coloratum progeny.

those 'sanderae' types, like the eponymous insigne var. sanderae are definitely not recessive, and in fact when bred with coloratum plants can give anything, from a 'nearly albino with a bit of color' flower up to those pastels/dilute colors we see. In fact they are to me more valuable than a real albino, because they have a potential to breed directly something interesting. A 'real albino' that has no color at all needs a 2 step to have something different, each time one breeds with them...

Ah, very interesting. Thanks for the explanation. If it was yellow but didn’t have the purple markings would it still be considered a sanderae type? I’ve seen some discussion on the forum in distinguishing those with and without markings, I believe.

Ah, very interesting. Thanks for the explanation. If it was yellow but didn’t have the purple markings would it still be considered a sanderae type? I’ve seen some discussion on the forum in distinguishing those with and without markings, I believe.

The 'sanderae' type has some brown spots, the sanderianum does not in fact, but it is a recessive albino. In some individuals the spots can be quite faint, and you need a light to check really well....

Latest posts

Back