Paph wardii "Robin's Prince Charles' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful P. wardii, Rick. Congratulations on the award!

NICE! Congrats!!! :) I love the color and shine! :clap:

I know the feeling of 'I know there's already plenty of awards on record, but I still think you just have to see this one'! I have to agree that I do not, nor will I ever base all my acquisitions or future breeding on getting things awarded, but the inevitable flaws and frustrations of judging plants won't keep me from enjoying it as part of the hobby! I'm finding that it's really interesting to see what gets brought in for judging, and plant raffles are always fun, so I'm hoping to make the drive more often even if I don't have plants to submit.

Congratulations Rick. Its a good feeling to recieve recognition for all the quiet backgound work which no one sees. Well deserved:clap:

Mike

congratulations! I was looking back at this thread again because I was at the southern tier orchid society christmas party yesterday and they buy plants to raffle off to each person who shows up. one of the plants they got from a vendor in hawaii that was supposed to be in a previous auction was a paph wardii that was so big it looked like a small shrub. the main roots down in the center of the pot had sort of lifted the plant out of the media and the new growth around the outside just had root nubs because of the exposure to air. the bid winner spent $40 for the plant and I asked him about giving $10 for a division which he was happy to do; only problem was that even with guidance from another member who is good paph grower, there really weren't any decent divisions that had roots on them except for a small shoot with one long root which sort of had become dislodged anyhow when the plant was being moved around. I don't think I'd ever seen a paph that large.

for my raffle plant I selected a paph venustum that had no buds (most plants were in bud) though I looked hard at a very nice paph lynleigh koopowitz that was in veeeery high bud (two buds about to open), and some other masdevallias. I had been too busy eating very good food to look over the raffle table ;) . as a consolation, my friend ken hull who I take around on native orchid hunting trips did select that p. ll koop so I may get a division someday! at least he'll take pictures and send them to me

Wow, Rick! What an excellent wardii! How satisfying to have bred it yourself!
Congratulations on the whole shebang: breeding, growing, exhibiting, and winning the AM!

Latest posts

Back