Paph villosum ??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
I got this plant last year labelled Paph villosum!
When looking at the threads and pics in this forum about villosum, I read that this is a very variable species, but none of the photos really matched with my blooms :eek: ! Please tell me your opinion. Jean

the plant:

I disagree with Nick on this one, I think it's within the variables for the species, yours is special!;)
It does remind me of druryi but should be easier to bloom!

Sorry guys!!
I do not think druyii is there. villosum is VERY variable.
Be easier to have the plant in front of me.
Sometimes crosses of villosum x complex being made for pot plants throw up flowers VERY like the species
Paul

There are some very green forms (var fusco-viride), and there is some variability within this form too, but the stripes in the petals are not as distinct as for these flowers.

More so than not villosum petals are darker in the upper half than lower half, with a poorly defined stripe (if present) down the center.

Even the greener forms of villosum tend to show some purple spotting at the base of the leaves and bracts, and the dorsal sepal is much more like an exul or duryi dorsal the way it curves forward (but I will admit that dorsal posture is highly variable too).

You said it Eric!!!!
Thats why I suggested it to be a hybrid using something like a Hellas
Paul

Jean, Isn't that a beautiful P. vietnamense down in the lower corner? Why have you not feature it yet????

Rick, here it is, but I am not happy with its shape! those pending petals :eek: ! The dorsal starts to fade today after one weeks stay in my living room s window (surely too hot and too much light (sun)), the plant is back in my gh right now to see if wilting slows down; usually in the gh the vietn. flowers last about 3 weeks! But I have another bud on another vietn. plant :):)! Jean

Droopy or not, it still kicks the heck out of the one I have...n't in bloom! I like it a bunch Jean.
I don't know what you can do about the other. If you got the space, keep it if not, send it on it's way!

Latest posts

Back