Paph vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all !!!!

That is lovely Jean. Nicely grown plant as well. I love the colour breaks in the pouch in this species. I'm not sure if people consider these faults but I find it really eye catching.

David, I think the ones without color break are rare!! I checked the pics of my viet flowers over the last years: none completely without! The back part of the pouch is whitish anyway !

Jean

Bjorn, you triggered that poor plant to have a 2 min.s trip into the cold (about 2 Celsius outside the gh!) to have this pic :) !

Jean

Absolutely magnificent! :clap:
How do you do it Jean. Can you give your culture details one more time? And don't spare the details! Temp, water, feed, humidity, air, mix, light, rest etc. etc.
I find it a very frustrating thing:mad: I dream of a plant like yours.......

Thanks all !!!!

David, I think the ones without color break are rare!! I checked the pics of my viet flowers over the last years: none completely without! The back part of the pouch is whitish anyway !

Jean

Thanks Jean. I love the marbelled look of the colour break. They all seem to have it as you say. But I dare say the breeders will try and get rid of it over time.

Thanks again!

Those who know me longer must have got the right feeling: that I do not really have a green thumb :) !

In fact I have killed lots of plants in my culture here! I have bought more than that :) though!

As for the viets., I got 3 of them in 2006, not even knowing what their flowers would look like, from J. Schronen (just above the german/lux border); he had a lot of youngsters he had grown from a flask. The 3 grew well for some years, starting bringing up those lovely flowers! Then came a time where I thought that repotting was necessary, unfortunately, because they didn't like it at all. One broke into pieces: I was glad having 3 plants now, but all of them went downhill quickly (had same experience with other species, rhyzome breaking into parts) . The remaining got a serious sunburn in 2011.

Rick, this one was repotted into a basket in 2013, after watching the other Rick's results, Sphagnum on the outside and Orchiata inside. Even experiencing a mealy invasion, the plant resisted, and this is its first bloom since 2013.

The plant, together with another one in spike grows in low light! Feeding same as for all my orchids K-Lite alternated with other fertilizer. My gh temps are in winter lows down to 13 Celsius, and high in summer up to 38 Celsius! No profesionnal feeding/watering schedule!

Meanwhile I still have 5 viets, 2 of them in bloom/spiking.

En résumé, a very forgiving species but take extreme care when repotting; they don't (same as many other slippers) like !!

Jean

Thanks again!

Those who know me longer must have got the right feeling: that I do not really have a green thumb :) !

In fact I have killed lots of plants in my culture here! I have bought more than that :) though!

As for the viets., I got 3 of them in 2006, not even knowing what their flowers would look like, from J. Schronen (just above the german/lux border); he had a lot of youngsters he had grown from a flask. The 3 grew well for some years, starting bringing up those lovely flowers! Then came a time where I thought that repotting was necessary, unfortunately, because they didn't like it at all. One broke into pieces: I was glad having 3 plants now, but all of them went downhill quickly (had same experience with other species, rhyzome breaking into parts) . The remaining got a serious sunburn in 2011.

Rick, this one was repotted into a basket in 2013, after watching the other Rick's results, Sphagnum on the outside and Orchiata inside. Even experiencing a mealy invasion, the plant resisted, and this is its first bloom since 2013.

The plant, together with another one in spike grows in low light! Feeding same as for all my orchids K-Lite alternated with other fertilizer. My gh temps are in winter lows down to 13 Celsius, and high in summer up to 38 Celsius! No profesionnal feeding/watering schedule!

En résumé, a very forgiving species but take extreme care when repotting; they don't (same as many other slippers) like !!

Jean

great advice!!!! Thanks!

Thanks again!

Jean

Interesting note.
What potting mix did you use?
Did you use different potting mix when you repotted those 3 plants??
I'm just curious here, not that different potting mix might have killed them or anything. :)
Or do you remember when you did the repotting? winter? hehe

I'm not big on this species flower, but I love their leaves very much!
I avoid anything that needs cool winter as I just cannot provide that conditions.
I have a few Ho Chi Minh whose leaves are luckily quite nice though not as nice as vietnamense.
It's next closest thing for me to have.

I've never had issues with repotting when dealing with mature plants, though sometimes actively growing seedlings come to a long pause after repotting.
I really don't like that. :(

Interesting note.
What potting mix did you use?
Did you use different potting mix when you repotted those 3 plants??
I'm just curious here, not that different potting mix might have killed them or anything. :)
Or do you remember when you did the repotting? winter? hehe

I'm not big on this species flower, but I love their leaves very much!
I avoid anything that needs cool winter as I just cannot provide that conditions.
I have a few Ho Chi Minh whose leaves are luckily quite nice though not as nice as vietnamense.
It's next closest thing for me to have.

I've never had issues with repotting when dealing with mature plants, though sometimes actively growing seedlings come to a long pause after repotting.
I really don't like that. :(

First repotting into clay pots in april 2008. I did not yet use Orchiata at that time, so some other bark mix, mightbe the one Schronen sold then !

Jean

Excellent culture Jean. I have a hand full of viets and not until I potted with large stones, 1/2 the pot and used sponge rock on the heavy side with a little Orchiata did I keep them alive! All growing well just short on blooms.

Latest posts

Back