Vietnamense Village in the Making: Go Fourth!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after the first petal streak debacle of the first flower of the vietnamense from Third Odyssey post, the second bud on the other side of plant opened without a hitch so far.

Albeit a bit smaller at 9 cm (vs 10.4), it has better form (no pouch indentations) and better colors (no petal streaks and same deep plum pouch). Petal width was 3.5 cm.

92A9C698-0678-4494-9E51-61F19A982092.jpegEEA51E8E-2CC2-4C5D-93AE-5EE725DFFDD2.jpeg1D3B4DAF-8BB1-4FC1-ACB4-39439CBF2D4F.jpeg19828E6A-D158-489D-ACB9-7EAA7AAFC528.jpeg
789E5DBD-8A48-43FB-83D5-EE5334DB71CC.jpeg
27CACCC1-0790-49EA-A52E-7937958A0B65.jpeg

As usual I totally ignored it while in bud stages so as not to pressure it. Was only staked today.

Another vietnamense looks to be in low bud too. Soon I’ll have a Vietnamense Village lol.

Last edited:
So after the first petal streak debacle of the first flower of the vietnamense from Third Odyssey post, the second bud on the other side of plant opened without a hitch so far.

Albeit a bit smaller at 9 cm (vs 10.4), it has better form (no pouch indentations) and better colors (no petal streaks and same deep plum pouch). Petal width was 3.5 cm.

View attachment 41379View attachment 41381View attachment 41382View attachment 41380
View attachment 41384
View attachment 41383

As usual I totally ignored it while in bud stages so as not to pressure it. Was only staked today.

Another vietnamense looks to be in low bud too. Soon I’ll have a Vietnamense Village lol.
That is beautiful!

Holly cow!!!!Great!!!! I have only demon in my mind, planted by Roth, Xavier Garrenau, that this one is maybe not straight vietnamense.There were many HCM sent to worldwide as viet. Many growers bought them and not just sold but propagate them ....viet has no purple colouration on staminode right, but many of hcm have no, too. Straight viet has waving leaf edge, your plant has linear.Any thought???

From my experience of growing and blooming both vietnamense and HCM, one must look at the combination of the traits to determine the ID.

In order of importance to be a true vietnamense, the following traits should be there:

1. Staminode MUST have no purple or brown pigmentation
2. The pouch MUST be round and globular (no egg shape like delenatii)
3. The leaf mottling MUST be SHINY (like oil) dark green reticulation and like a sea turtle shape.
4. The leaves are usually wavy on edges but not always in all leaves.
5. Flowers usually last one week more than HCM.

In the case of this vietnamense, it has all those traits.

There are many HCM that has SOME of these traits, but never all of them. If you grow them side by side you will know what I mean.

As you all know, I’m the first one to point out a wrong vietnamense ID if I see any of those traits askew 😛.

Last edited:
Thank you, Leslie! There is problem not with hcm hybrids, but with hcm x hcm crosses. Many of them are very close to straight vietnamense as it is expectable by Mendel law.

Thank you, Leslie! There is problem not with hcm hybrids, but with hcm x hcm crosses. Many of them are very close to straight vietnamense as it is expectable by Mendel law.
I’m curious to see how the best of these HCM sibs turn out. Likely bigger and more vigorous than either of the above. And also how their staminode colors turn out.

Latest posts

Back