Paph tranlien!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baodai

Reaction score
This one is for NYEric, since he went down to FL for the show without invited me. So, i stopped HomeDepot next to his house to purchase this one !!! LOL
Enjoy everyone.
BD
P.S if you want it back, you can find me at massorchid event this weekend

Attachments

• TL1.jpg
    TL1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 100
  • TL2.jpg
    TL2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 58
  • TL3.jpg
    TL3.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 51
  • TL4.jpg
    TL4.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 90
I haven't seen enough of this species to form a "conclusion".. but all the 5 tranlienianum plants I have (and had...) and the ones I have seen even in bloom are all quite "unhealthy" looking with only 2-3 leaves per growth with somewhat floppy leaves. :confused: it is quite different than similar species like helenae. Perhaps other members (esp those in Asia) can share pictures of their tranlienianum plants for comparison?

I got two tranlien, one is like this one, long, few leaves and "unhealthy" look, spiking on two leaves growth.
And the second one, much more compact, looking more like helenae or henryanum, very generous in leaves, 5 or 6 per growth. they look so different that one would see two species where there is only one. I'll put some pic of both if someone is interested.
Great flower by the way ! :)

I got two tranlien, one is like this one, long, few leaves and "unhealthy" look, spiking on two leaves growth.
And the second one, much more compact, looking more like helenae or henryanum, very generous in leaves, 5 or 6 per growth. they look so different that one would see two species where there is only one. I'll put some pic of both if someone is interested.
Great flower by the way ! :)
INTERESTED - you bet! Please post!

:eek: I would have taken you along but you don't play paintball! :p
This one is for NYEric, since he went down to FL for the show without invited me. So, i stopped HomeDepot next to his house to purchase this one !!! LOL
Enjoy everyone.
BD
P.S if you want it back, you can find me at massorchid event this weekend

Actually, I thought about suprising some folks by going to the Mass show today, but a 4 hour drive to get to a show that ends at 5PM, I'd have to get started before I even woke up! :crazy:

Last edited:
Nice unusual species and great flower.

Mine had two floppy growths when I bought it, just like this one ... both flowered ... a new growth has appeared but has become very slow growing despite new root growth. I suspect that flowering on both growths might have weakened it ... I anxiously wait for progess.

This is what mine looks like now (two buds!!! :drool:) The pot is 3.5 inches tall and it flowered twice previously with one flower each time.

Paphtranlienianum7.jpg

and just for comparison this is what it looked like earlier this year, I think Feb/March time?

Paphtranlienianum4.jpg

it's been a very easy grower for me so far *knocks wood*

Don't be so modest, good, healthy plants can be lost in the wrong hands/conditions!
:clap: Well done!!!

Addition

Hello all,
I did some test regarding temp and light condition. I have some note on this. As you can see on picture #1: ( note these plant came from the same parent)
from right to left:
first one - outside all summer without any feeding (northeast USA)
second - warm condition little feeding
third - colder condition and lest light
So, the second one seem to be the best one.
I also tested this with my helena, herrmannii, hirsutissinum, barbii, henry. The result almost the same
thanks,
BD

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 32
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 29
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 25
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 20
Interesting baodai, although the others aren't bad! If the first one was outside all summer, then are we to assume the others were indoors? GH? could you give a bit more detail? What did you do for the cooler temps?

Here is a pic of my floppy one, on 14th of september :

2856748560_ff1a1d26f6_o.jpg

It is now currently spiking, a month later :

2974257098_29a1e9916d.jpg

I realize I don't have any pic of the other one yet online, I'll upload some when I'll be at home and add them here.

Damas,
Nice job. What are you growing in? It looks like the stuff from my backyard but I know it can't be.?

Here is the small compact tranlien on the left :

2989254601_d437f655ef.jpg

And both of them, side by side. As you can see they look different :

2989254199_56a397efa7.jpg

What are you growing in? It looks like the stuff from my backyard but I know it can't be.?

:D Euh... you're not so far ! I never felt confortable with "conventional" media and watering so I do my own mix. Basically it's peat (I think you call it peat), mixed with chopped hemp (again I am not sure it's the right term), chopped sphagnum moss, styroform and vermiculite. I put some clay pebbles in the bottom to drain. I have very good result with this mix. It dries fast on the top but keeps moist inside :

2990134172_9bd064a8f9.jpg

Latest posts

Back