• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paph Shin Yi Prince

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAB

Reaction score
Who is the foremost breeder of this grex?

Is this not a common cross? I cannot seem to find anyone working with it.

That's because it was disappointing lol. There probably is no "foremost breeder", but rather it was a result of the Taiwanese nurseries crossing everything to everything.

Disappointing? Really?
Thank you Cattmad... I guess I should be more clear in that, whom in the US is working with it, not necessarily who created it.

Disappointing? Really?
Well...here's the thing. The aim of crossing Prince Edward of York back to sanderianum would be to get a flower that looks like PEOY but with longer petals. In most cases, what I have seen from this cross looks more like sanderianum with shorter petals instead.

Tony,
thank you for the explanation. I guess one really needs to see one in bloom to know if it is a solid grex or not eh!?

Thank you
Jake

There is a shin yi prince on ebay with a picture for 99.00. There is no better or worse orchid it's all personal prefrance unless u ask an orchid judge

Good point Troy.
Not a fan of Ebay but I will have to take a peruse.
Thanks

I have found that crossing sanderianum hybrids back unto sanderianum are disappointing in general..and lose much of their robustness in the flower quality, including the length of petals..I stay away from them...in fact , the only parent I would cross a sanderianum hybrid to is an adductum or anitum, or perhpas by a really robust Johanna Burkhardt or Wossner Black Wings..shin yi prince is terrible breeding, IMHO

Thanks. Good to know Ed. I have only seen a picture or two.
I love sanderanium so I have been searching out some of the interesting sounding crosses. I appreciate your input as I am rather new and have not seen a lot of these breeding trends.

Thanks. Good to know Ed. I have only seen a picture or two.
I love sanderanium so I have been searching out some of the interesting sounding crosses. I appreciate your input as I am rather new and have not seen a lot of these breeding trends.

a new and promising trend is to cross sandy hyrbids with robust Gary Romagna, Johanna Burkhardt and Wossner Black Wings...you can find them at Orchid Inn or Springwater Orchids..and from time to time they pop up in big numbers on ebay. They are hoping to provide more fullness to the shape of the flower as well as darker. If you like the long petals..the best bet is to stick with the tried and true primary sandy hybrids (PEOY, MK, Angel Hair etc, as well as the sandy species with the three hybrids I mentioned)..these are being remade with better parents and should produce some really exceptional plants.

Thanks Ed! I appreciate the advice and insight. I wish more folks shared this type of knowledge when it comes to hybrids. Very helpful.
Cheers
Jake

I am betting that johanna burkhardt/WBW will be awesome and pale PEOY and angel hair, especially the grex' that came from the FCC JB's.

Form and colour should be incredible

Yes, Wössner Black Wings x sanderianum should throw some awesome progeny. I've seen some really gorgeous PEOY x anitum blooms as well.
Jake, do you have a pure sanderianum yet?

Tony,
I do. I was fortunate enough to get one from the Quintals this past spring. My first multi floral (and really one of my first orchids period) was a Chi Hua Dancer and I fell in love with her! The addiction has grown from there:p

Latest posts

Back