Paph. Sea Cliff 'Terry' HCC/AOS - ODC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
Sea Cliff is an interesting cross, and this clone is especially odd given the parents. Farnmoore is a rather nice red; this grex was made with Farnmoore 'Acrosis', which I have - an open-formed spotted red. The other parent, Littledean, is most famous as a parent of Peter Black, but is also a parent of Halo. Littledeans aren't much to look at, but as maybe you could expect from a parent of Peter Black and Halo, they are Hellas - colored: tan, yellow, etc. So this is a clone which recieved almost none of the coloration from the Farnmoore parent. It received an HCC/ODC in 1957; again although constantly referred to in my literature as HCC/AOS I can't find a reference to it. Vallemar Gardens registered the cross in 1956 and recieved the ODC award in 1957. It is named for Sea Cliff Beach in Santa Cruz, CA, which is near where I live and a favorite beach of my family.

Sea Cliff is not a particularly important parent; perhaps it is one whose legacy has not yet been realized - the most recent registration is Mohaka (x Sharnden, a great breeder for color, in 2006), and pictures of the Mohaka used by Barry Fraser on Woodstream's website may indicate some good spotted grexes to come.

In my somewhat obsessive searching for old awarded paphs, I've seen two other clones, 'Vallemar' and 'Dover' in Japan. Wouldn't it be great to recover some of these historic American plants from overseas? Especially those bred by Americans, and for me, especially those bred in California during the first heyday of complex paphs in America would be wonderful to see in real life again. k off the soapbox :) Maybe someone here has these other clones? Want to trade??

So here it is; sorry for the bad picture - it's of an old flower and normally the form is better...

Attachments

• seacliff_terry.jpg
    seacliff_terry.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 64
Tim,

Thanks for informing us about another vintage Paph. I immediately thought of the Sea Cliff area of San Francisco from the name not realizing that there was also a Sea Cliff Beach in Santa Cruz. I hope you can locate the other two clones.

I remember visiting Tonkin's Nursery in Livermore several years ago. They had lots of old Paphs. Not sure what has happened to them now.

Best Regards,
Nik

Nik,

The answer is that I bought all their plants when the land Val Tonkin was leasing for her greenhouses was sold.

Nice flower, and I'm glad you're keeping all the antiques!

This flower has a couple of traits that may make it an interesting breeder. The sepals aren't bad and the spotted petals are a feature I wouldn't mind coming up in a bunch of seedlings.

Latest posts

Back