Lunadean 'Everglades' HCC/AOS, B/CSA

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
Two orchids, clones of Luna and Hestia, came across the Atlantic from the collection of Wyld Court Orchids to Rod McClellans in the early 1940s. I don’t know what their clonal names are, and they are probably lost to cultivation, but the grex Luna is responsible for some beautiful, almost ethereal green-yellow color. Ratcliffe’s used Luna to make Greenshank, and it’s the Luna parent that’s responsible for the color in the dorsals of some of the finer clones, like ’Coromandel’ S/CSA and ’Chilton’.

McClellans used Hestia and Luna to make a grex called Lunar Orbit, about which I know nothing – no awarded clones, and no notables in old McClellans catalogs. Lunar Orbit was not much of a parent, and produced little of note in its dozen or so crosses, except when crossed with Littledean, an important parent of note; Littledean (probably the clone ‘Robin’ or ‘Tokyo’) is a parent of Halo, Sea Cliff, and most importantly Peter Black.

Lunadean resulted from Littledean x Lunar Orbit, registered by McClellans in 1964. There are a number of clones awarded (2 by the CSA, 1 by the ODC, and 5 by the AOS with one of clone awarded three times), but this one is interesting in that it went to Florida, home of very few complex paphs, to get its award. Lunadean ‘Everglades’ HCC/AOS was awarded, I assume based on the clonal name, to Everglades Orchids in Belle Glade, FL, in 1966. It then came back across the country to California to receive a B/CSA from Cobb’s Orchids in 1969 and another B/CSA for Universal Orchids in 1973. Another clone is in the Universal Orchids catalog in 1982 for $180!! Apparently, they thought pretty highly of it; interestingly enough little was done in terms of breeding it. Lunadean is the parent of only three grexes, none of them particularly important.

I think it has neat color…not a combination very often seen…I guess it might make interesting crosses with spotted flowers, as apparently the dorsal color from Luna is fairly dominant.

Attachments

• lunadean_everglades.JPG
    lunadean_everglades.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 76
Tim -

Cold you tell us where you got this plant? According to ORchidWiz, the plant actually was exhibited by the Rod McClellan Company at the Miami INternational Orchid Show in Miami in 1966, so I don't know how it got the clonal name. Milton Carpenter is a very close friend of mine, and I will ask him tomorrow. Milton has a section of his greenhouse that is air conditioned, and he has only one awarded complex Paph - Eagle Peak 'Everglades' AM/AOS ca. 1979. It is really great for me to see something from his collection in other's hands; It makes orchid history much more real or me.

I hate it when references are wrong. yes please figure out what the deal is and why this is the only plant ever awarded to have the clonal name 'Everglades' and not be from Milton...

There were a number of crosses with Lunadean as a parent imported into Australia during the late 60's and into the 70's. Nothing of any significance was flowered. Its only been registered in 3 crosses, none of the other crosses were worth registering. Too old and a genuine non performer to even consider using as a breeder.

The high dorsal doesn't look very pleasing. I can't imagine using it as a breeder for form. As far as color goes, what would one use? Whether it is crossed to a red, green, yellow, honey or white/pink the color will be lost. While an interesting flower I think this is dead end. Littledean would look like a better preservation and breeding bet. It may be very interesting, given how Peter Black turned out, to cross it to helenae?

Indeed Roy, but for someone with lots of space and nothing better to do, do some more Littledean crosses wouldn't hurt. Littledean does impart some nice characters every 1 in a million roles of the genetic dice. Raise enough Littledean x helenae seedlings and you may end up with something very nice.

For someone tight on space, such as myself, then Hellas is a much better bet! In fact, I'm making plants to purchase a Lunacy (Hellas x Skip Bartlett) for this very reason. I very much want to improve the shape of my Avatar.

lol - Peter Black not a good breeder - lol!!
Magic Mood, Magic Mountain, Alchemy, Donna Hanes, Ross Gesler, Gold Nugget, Eagle Peak, Dodge City - how many more good grexes do you want? Each of these has been a fantastic parent - I have lots of these in my greenhouse and they form a set of parents I'm constantly on the lookout for. I think these represent some of the finest parents in yellow complexes to date, and they are breeding some of the best progeny.

I'm certainly not planning on breeding with Lunadean, but it's interesting to think how one would use some of these older awarded plants.

Littledeans are, for lack of a better word, butt-ugly flowers. :) They have poor form, terrible substance, brownish color, and thin segments. It's amazing to me that they produced anything of worth, and goes to show that I have alot to learn as a hybridizer.

Thanks for all the information again, Tim!

This clone of Lunadean is nice to look at, but not impressive at all. Interesting that it was awardable at that time.
I've been lucky to grab a division of Luna AM/RHS recently. Your thread made me looking for buds quite impatiently.

interesting I see no record of Luna AM/RHS in the RHS database...I'd love to see a photo

Latest posts

Back