Paph. Morontes 'Del Mar' HCC/AOS - ODC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
Morontes is a cross of the infamous Cardinal Mercier and Mrs. Eley. On both sides it has a rather interesting geneology: Mrs. Eley has that historic touchstone of breeding for great size Christopher 'Grand Duke Nicholas' as a parent, and Cardinal Mercier (which is according to various sources either a clone of or a hybrid of Lathamianum) went on to be of great import in breeding reds through its progeny of Atlantis 'The Cardinal'. That plant, Atlantis 'The Cardinal', is the plant I'm the most upset to have killed of anything ever in my collection. It may well have been the last piece...I sure hope it's in Japan somewhere.

In any event Morontes was bred by Moore in 1935 in England and traveled with Bracey across the ocean; it was shown by him and awarded an HCC/ODC in 1953. For whatever reason, it never received a clonal name. In 1964 the same plant was shown by Santa Barbara Orchid Estate and awarded an HCC by both the AOS and ODC at the 19th Santa Barbara Orchid Show under the clonal name 'Del Mar', which was the clonal name given to many SBOE plants at that early time in the history of Dr. Chrisman's estate.

So here it is, again probably the first time ever pictured in color anywhere:

Attachments

• morontes_delmar.jpg
    morontes_delmar.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 73
Keep the photos of these antique Paphs coming, they are a real lesson in Paph breeding. Thank you very much for posting images of these classics that I have only seen the names of when going through Sander's or the RHS registry.

Keep the photos of these antique Paphs coming, they are a real lesson in Paph breeding. Thank you very much for posting images of these classics that I have only seen the names of when going through Sander's or the RHS registry.

I agree! please keep on posting!

:clap: Nice oldie/antique but goody! I'm enjoying the history lessons!
Does the dorsal stay flat or does it start to recurve!?

stays pretty flat; not the best blooming - last year's was much better!

Latest posts

Back