Paph. Sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is supposed to happen this way?

Attachments

• sander-bud-1.jpg
    sander-bud-1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 57
looks like the flowers are starting to open before the spike has grown.

i would just let it run its course (or snip off the buds now if you think it will help the plant survive).

with the spike so short this blooming probably won't be a perfect sanderianum flowering...

No, its not suppose to do that yet. Let it run its course as Justin suggest but then cut it off. The flower will mature somewhat and you will be able to get some idea of the flower. It may stop opening and go ahead lengten the spike. You just don't know at this point. Besides, all the energy for making flower(s) has been spent. Only elongation is left (pumping water into the parts)

2 minutes ago

...Four days later.

Spike is longer. It's opened a bit more but hasn't dropped the petals free yet.

Attachments

• sander6.jpg
    sander6.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 50
Must be a bit disappointing for you, but I hope you at least get to see the blooms. I wonder what caused the plant to do that?

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

Not sure. I'm ok with it. I'm learning from it, which is mostly what I care about on this one.

I'm pretty comfortable saying this is an actual sanderianum... perhaps a miniature, or whatever. :clap:

It's going to produce two flowers on a short spike, but seems they will both look somewhat OK!

This has been fun for me to watch. Well worth getting the plant and letting life unfold, even if it's not the most majestic or graceful.

I'm not sure I'm going to want to care for it for another cycle though. If you are interested in the plant, feel free to send me a private message. I might be willing to sell it when done blooming.

Attachments

• sander-7.jpg
    sander-7.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 69
I think it is impossible to judge the plant on this flowering, it might well surprise you the next time round. This was pretty much an aborted blooming, and even so the blooms are not too bad all considered. If I was able to, I would buy it in a flash!

Thanks all.

It's not aborted - it's still actively working on blooming. It's just only going to have two flowers. But, every day they are open even more. I only posted this today as a 'status update' kinda thing. The tails on the first flower just fell down today. I'm guessing both flowers will open, and sit somewhat side by side.

Im pretty impressed with the whole thing, overall! By far more than I thought I would be. The plant had previously bloomed small, but I really didn't expect it to happen for me off this growth.

Too bad... I'm thinking that that was probably just a one time deal. I'd keep it and give it another chance...

If you want the petals to extend completely you need to elevate the pot and let them hang freely in the air. Otherwise, the petals will stop growing once they're in contact with the table.

If you want the petals to extend completely you need to elevate the pot and let them hang freely in the air. Otherwise, the petals will stop growing once they're in contact with the table.

They are, in the other room under the lights. That was just for the picture. But thank you! Both have extended today.

It is better than the one I have never flowered. I don't have any prospects of flowering one of these in the foreseeable future, so consider yourself lucky. I'm sure it will get better over time as all multi's seem to.

Latest posts

Back