Paph sanderianum 'Red Baroness'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is most impressive! Grow it big, then I want a piece!

As for the pollen, how about on a nice stonei (Sander's Pride)?

Both are great suggestions John and Dot. I do have a roebelenii type that should bloom this spring. The petals on it where 9 inches if I remember right. Dot I do have a stonei big enough to bloom but hasn't yet, two fans at 30+ inches with more starts on the side. Blooming size, right?
I have praestans, roth and haynaldianum coming up. Chi Hua Dancer, Kolosands, Temptation, St, Swithin, Mt Toro, Wossener's Kolorand and a Bel Royale opening or about to pop. A cross onto Gloria Naugle might be a little weird. Any of these sound exciting?

Both are great suggestions John and Dot. I do have a roebelenii type that should bloom this spring. The petals on it where 9 inches if I remember right. Dot I do have a stonei big enough to bloom but hasn't yet, two fans at 30+ inches with more starts on the side. Blooming size, right?
Sounds about right. Stonei is difficult to bloom (for me, anyway) so I don't really know how many growths it needs before it will bloom.

I have praestans, roth and haynaldianum coming up. Chi Hua Dancer, Kolosands, Temptation, St, Swithin, Mt Toro, Wossener's Kolorand and a Bel Royale opening or about to pop. A cross onto Gloria Naugle might be a little weird. Any of these sound exciting?

Chi Hua Dancer :drool:
Mt. Toro:drool:
My opinion

Crossed back to one of your MK's could be nice. Nice colour in both and it will increase the petal length. Long time to bloom though.

David

One of the nicest sanderianums I have seen! Just love the color on that one. Do you know the history/origin of that one? I don't know if I am right (maybe Sanderianum can give us some more info), but I have heard there are two populations of sanderianums; one is more a "highland" type that grows at higher elevations, This type gets lighter colored flowers that have "gold" colored pouches (these are the ones we have here at our nursery). The other type grows at lower altitudes and has darker pouches. The one that you are showing would be one of those types. I wonder if the differences are large enough to call yours a true variety.

I too would vote for crossing it onto a MK, but I think any multifloral cross with this sanderianum would be good. I would not cross it onto a parvi, just because they usually turn out misshapen. The only nice one that I have seen was one of Tom Kalina's Paph. Sacagawea's Slippers (delenatii x sanderianum), so maybe if you cross delenatii vinicolor (aka dunkel) with this one, it will turn out nice.

Oh I just thought of another cross that would be awesome with this plant: Paph. anitum x Paph. sanderianum!

Robert

That's good idea as well David. Especially the "redhead" clone

I would like to second David's vote for back crossing onto your MK 'Red Head'. It would stabilize the color some and recover the longer petals.

Robert Quene's suggestions are spot on too. And as Dot suggested Mt Toro is an excellent choice. Stonei hybrids often have superior form, as stonei will straighten out those 'broken arms' slouching shoulders habit of sanderianum petals.

Your sanderianum does have the most vivid red I have ever seen on a sanderianum.
Leo

Once again, it's awesome! Make more- self it (if it's big enough to carry a pod)!!!

-Ernie

Well, I'm finally on fast Internet, but I had to buy a new computer so I could install a WiFi link. And now Rick, I can see what everybody was raving about. :rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy: Great plant and flowers.

Last edited:
Here is a updated photo showing petal length, 13+ inches. Side note: I took the plant to the orchid meeting Thur night and it was NO big deal with the general orchid population. It just goes to show, most people don't know what the heck their looking at! That's one of the reasons I love this forum!

psandercolorfix.jpg

Latest posts

Back