Paph. sanderianum growing tips invited

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camellkc

Reaction score
Hi paph experts. Happy New Year!

I have a chance to acquire a sanderianum in bloom today. It has a mature growth in bloom, one new growth, one tiny growth and one nearly dead old growth. I would like to invite some comments on what should I pay attention to cultivate this species properly. If you have good memory, I am a multi floral grower at a south facing windowsill.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Easy to grow species. some clones can be slower. it likes lower light levels (think Phals) and more water than other multi's. Does not appreciate the media drying out.

If the buds on your plant are still developing, keep the media very wet and humidity high to push the petals longer. and post pics!!!

Easy to grow species. some clones can be slower. it likes lower light levels (think Phals) and more water than other multi's. Does not appreciate the media drying out.

If the buds on your plant are still developing, keep the media very wet and humidity high to push the petals longer. and post pics!!!

Thank you for the good advice!! I have heard of the theory from many body that if the plant is in bud/bloom do not keep the media wet so as to avoid bud blast and lengthen the blooming time. Is sanderianum do the reverse? It is also sad that it is winter here now and the humidity is not high at all, though I have already turn on the humidifier for most of the day.

Also, can I consider it likes water as much as gigantifolium so that I have to keep the media wet all the time?

Thank you for the good advice!! I have heard of the theory from many body that if the plant is in bud/bloom do not keep the media wet so as to avoid bud blast and lengthen the blooming time. Is sanderianum do the reverse? It is also sad that it is winter here now and the humidity is not high at all, though I have already turn on the humidifier for most of the day.

Also, can I consider it likes water as much as gigantifolium so that I have to keep the media wet all the time?

sanderianum flowers do not last very long anyway so i wouldn't worry about that part. as far as blasting, it depends on where it is in the flowering process. if the buds are still down inside the crown i would worry about blasting, but if they are already coming out of the crown and the spike is growing then start watering it heavily to get the longest petals.

And yes i try to keep mine wet like gigantifolium.

there are a lot of other sandie growers here so i'm sure others will chime in.

sanderianum flowers do not last very long anyway so i wouldn't worry about that part. as far as blasting, it depends on where it is in the flowering process. if the buds are still down inside the crown i would worry about blasting, but if they are already coming out of the crown and the spike is growing then start watering it heavily to get the longest petals.

And yes i try to keep mine wet like gigantifolium.

there are a lot of other sandie growers here so i'm sure others will chime in.

Thanks Justin! I shall share it when the blooms are all opened. It is not a good clone but I only wish to get one of them.

I have only had 2 years experience with sanderianum. (seedlings not BS!)
The first flask was a disaster. I only have 3 left.
The second flask I have all left and they are actually growing.
The difference? Water, water and more water.

Should be a perfect candidate for growing hydroponic!

Hi, I bought my first sanderianum at the age of 14 and I still have that plant. So I have 8 years experience growing sandies. I am currently rising some dozen young plants from flask with a loss of about 5-10%. One thing I noticed is that some of the plants are faster growing than others. I have a plant that has like five growth or so while the one I bought eight years ago is still a one growth plant. They both started at the same size back then.
I totally agree that the culture is close to the one of a gigantifolium. I found out that sanderianums like expanded clay in the mix like no other species.
It is interesting for ssnderianum plants that there seems to be a juvenile period where the young plants grow extremely slow and an adult period that starts about 5-8 years from flask. Then they speed up their growing rates and clump easily depending on the clone. I hope this helps to some of you.

Lucky you to have a blooming size plant and it's actually blooming. I have mine for 6 months and it has only grow 1 inch on one leaf, and now it's starting a little new leave. Can't beleive how slow it grow. I water mine every day and give it 1/4 strength MSU fertilizer every other watering. When I got mine it did not have much root, just one black root that did not have any growing tips and I guess this is why mine is growing so slow. It has put up many new healthy roots now and it's starting to grow a bit faster. I am guessing the more healthy growing roots this plant have, the faster it will grow. Mine is just a small baby with largest leaf of 6''. Maybe in 10 years I will see it bloom.

Lucky you to have a blooming size plant and it's actually blooming. I have mine for 6 months and it has only grow 1 inch on one leaf, and now it's starting a little new leave. Can't beleive how slow it grow. I water mine every day and give it 1/4 strength MSU fertilizer every other watering. When I got mine it did not have much root, just one black root that did not have any growing tips and I guess this is why mine is growing so slow. It has put up many new healthy roots now and it's starting to grow a bit faster. I am guessing the more healthy growing roots this plant have, the faster it will grow. Mine is just a small baby with largest leaf of 6''. Maybe in 10 years I will see it bloom.

your experience is not uncommon. some clones can be very slow. it takes a little luck to find a fast-growing one.

I understanding your situation. As concluded from others experience, mature plant of sanderianums seems to be easier to care and the growth rate is faster. Due to the limitation of my growing environment, the only thing I could choose is buying an adult plant with bloom. Of coz, it costs much for me too.

It is interesting for ssnderianum plants that there seems to be a juvenile period where the young plants grow extremely slow and an adult period that starts about 5-8 years from flask. Then they speed up their growing rates and clump easily depending on the clone.

Great! only 3 to 5 years to go before they start growing well and then maybe a few more after that before I see a flower. I'm getting too old for this caper:(

Mine started to grow a bit faster after it produced many new roots, but it is still slow. I am just happy that it is growing well from the poor condition it was in when I got it.

I have no doubt that it will start to grow faster when it will be larger, it make sense, more roots, larger leaves to support more growth.

What kind of winter temperatures are suitable for sanderianum? I live in a frosty climate and grow in a leaky sunroom. If I had temps down to 60F for 2-3 months and low humidity, would a sandy survive?

Hello,

since december 2013 I have a sanderianum, too. Within 19 month it got 5 new leafes ang grew from a leafspan of 5cm (abt. 2 inches) to 16 cm (abt. 6 inches) with the longest leaf of 12cm.
Im quite satisfied, but I am not sure if you would consider it as a fast or slow growing clone?

Michael

In addition to above, my sandies seem to really like small pots.

I'm finding that all my paphs prefer small pots. (but they are all still young)
They just seem to do better with the quick wet dry cycle. (for me) Yet I know lots of growers who always keep them very damp and they do well also so beats me. :confused:

Back