Paph Sand Dollar x Wellesleyanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
My outdated Wildcatt does not list this as having been registered ?? Nice golden color !
Florida-313.jpg

OrchidWiz does not list any offspring for wellesleyanum. Could this be true? or a mistake?

OrchidWiz does not list any offspring for wellesleyanum. Could this be true? or a mistake?

There's two listing in orchidwiz; Paph. Wellesleyanum has 38 F1 offspring. Sand Dollar not listed as one of the F1 parents.

Paph. wellesleyanum has no offspring.

So does this mean there's a hybrid and a species by the same name? :confused:

Nice bloom, btw.

very, very nice bloom Gilda!!! but I am somewhat intrigued by the growth habit of that plant / flower :) !?? Jean

My what a sharp eye you have !! I took the pic sideways/under ...the bloom appeared hanging low before I found it in time to stake it upright:eek:, so to get a good pic of how the bloom looks . I snapped it from sideways /under. You guys are so eagle -eyed:)

There's two listing in orchidwiz; Paph. Wellesleyanum has 38 F1 offspring. Sand Dollar not listed as one of the F1 parents.

Paph. wellesleyanum has no offspring.

So does this mean there's a hybrid and a species by the same name? :confused:

Nice bloom, btw.

Wildcatt lists concolor x godefroyae reg. 1975 as the parents of Wellesleyanum /under species it says natural hybrid ???

The RHS is the only data base that really counts, it shows that (Wellesleyanum x Sand Dollar) and (Sand Dollar x Wellesleyanum) appear to not be registered. Get in touch with the originator of the cross and encourage them to register the cross.

Wellesleyanum is the man made hybrid, an oldies but goodie. I have heard it exists as a natural hybrid x wellesleyanum but I have never encountered a plant of this taxa that was a collected plant. The only Wellesleyanum I have encountered have been the man made hybrid.

I like the flower, wish it were a little rounder, more like some of the better 'Brachys'. Nice, and good growing.

Last edited:
Leo is quite right in what he says. There are a large number of crosses with Wellesleyanum around but for some reason never registered. I think this plant can only improve, its very nice now though.

I'm very impressed with the outcome of this cross Gilda. If you have no luck at finding the orginal hybridizer, register it yourself.

Latest posts

Back