Paph. rothschildianum progress photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first time blooming a roth. It has two small starts. I don't expect it to bloom again for another 4-7 years but time will tell. It's not focusing on the growing at the moment. Honestly, if I was a better mother I should have cut the spike and let the plant grow, but I've been waiting 3 years to see this darn thing!

I have another - 'Excelcior' which is slow as molasses but a more compact plant. It's a division and roots are excellent so maybe next time this year.

Very exciting Heather. But slow by the sounds of it. Forgive me, I'm not very well versed in roth parentage, would this one be of the Taiwanese breeding? Just wondering since I got one recently and was told that it should bloom within the next 4-5 years from its present seedling stage. I was a tad skeptical.

This is my first time blooming a roth. It has two small starts. I don't expect it to bloom again for another 4-7 years but time will tell. It's not focusing on the growing at the moment. Honestly, if I was a better mother I should have cut the spike and let the plant grow, but I've been waiting 3 years to see this darn thing!

I have another - 'Excelcior' which is slow as molasses but a more compact plant. It's a division and roots are excellent so maybe next time this year.

Ahh Heather. Your a pro:clap: Once these guys get going they are unstoppable.

Last year when mine bloomed on 1 adult and 1 young growth, I bred it, and it promptly added 4 more new growths while the capsules were developing. (Germinated seed at Meyer's btw). It didn't bloom this year, but the young growth is putting on span fast, and I bet it will go next year.

Can't wait to see your blooms:clap::clap:

Thanks Rick, you're so sweet. :)

Barbara, no, this is not one of the newer Taiwanese, it's 'Rex' x 'Mont Millais' which is (forgive me, is it still?) the most awarded roth. cross of all time (at least it was...)

So, you can see why I'm excited. Sorta wish it would hurry up and bloom, it's making me anxious.

Today's update

rexmm12ne7.jpg

I can't wait to see the whole flowrescent fully developed Heather!!! Great work...!!! I can say you are a good mother !!!! (judjing from the photos :):):))

No, Eric. It doesn't matter much in this case, it's a highly awarded cross. We know that information about it already, and I've already stated the specs!

FWIW - The petals are nice and wide. The dorsal and synsepal are, so far, cuppy. I am in agreement. It is going to take a while for this one to open completely. Please stay tuned.

No, I just meant how much of your living room is this taking up? I'm no grex-whore! Is it a gigantic plant or reasonable, remember I only have had one multifloral Paph in bloom [glandulif-wilmeni-whatever..] and I only got it because it's small.

While I admit that all my multi florals are still small I don't understand most of the complaints about size. I have way too many space hogs (Zygo, Beallara, Catt, Cym, Dend) with leaves or growths in the 2-3 foot range. And while I enjoy their flowers I'd have to take time off work to watch a spectacle like the blooming of an classic Roth cross. I'm not obsessed at all ;)

Shaun

Latest posts

Back