Old Gen Roths Photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just pulled out the tag on mine and I have the same cross....I bought a tiny seedling from John(Parkside) on July 26, 2003...
Here is a photo of 2021 blooming--the final petal length is almost 32 inches. Not sure what you expect/think but it is an awardable quality in my eyes....but as you know, I don't grow it for that. Can you show me a photo of yours?
I don't know your domestic source, but mine is from the same flask that John brought back from Taiwan personally.
Yours is nice, one of the best I have seen!

I lost all photos and the actual plants when the person attending to them past away and I was relocating to another state. I originally purchased from Mackie Orchids on Kauai (no longer exists), so anything is possible.

I suppose there are a lot a reasons why a particular cross didn't produce many rewarded lines, such as difficulty in growing, name changes, or someone doesn't care about rewards. I guess I haven't seen InCharm's variety name in a lot of awarded sands so was wondering if their reputation was specific to roths.

Thank you for the link, Justin. Greatly appreciate it. My "X self" clone does look similar to Papa/Mama.

I had a green valley x dou fang bloom last year, and it was quite nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20240125_204642.jpg
    IMG_20240125_204642.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240125_204640.jpg
    IMG_20240125_204640.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 0
Yours is nice, one of the best I have seen!

I lost all photos and the actual plants when the person attending to them past away and I was relocating to another state. I originally purchased from Mackie Orchids on Kauai (no longer exists), so anything is possible.

I suppose there are a lot a reasons why a particular cross didn't produce many rewarded lines, such as difficulty in growing, name changes, or someone doesn't care about rewards. I guess I haven't seen InCharm's variety name in a lot of awarded sands so was wondering if their reputation was specific to roths.

Well don't look any further... In Charm and the others are usually 'expensive' when you buy 1 flask of this and 1 flask of that from them.

So there were and are some discounters, from Taiwan, that come sometimes even in the US, that should remain nameless...., but very popular however offering those precious varieties at 'wholesale' or 'affordable' prices. The trick is that they rename cheaper flasks and rearrange the tags, it has been going on for many years.

As well, many professionnals do not pay more than a dollar a seedling in flask, and it is still expensive. So when someone comes and has a 'great bargain' on a 200US flask for 20 or 50us (that's expensive already for some growers...), they buy it.

A decade ago, I was in Taiwan, and there were flasks of micranthum album available. Those were produced by seed sowing and proliferation, they had a codename sticker on the top of the flasks. You could buy them anywhere from 200 to 1000US at the TIOS and in the years after ( proliferate, replate, etc...)

Each and every seller had different micranthum album photos and parents written on each flask, that was 'their own breeding'. I think I have seen 6 or 7 different pedigree at the TIOS alone when those were first released. The top of the flask, however, had the same laboratory batch and code number.... for those who paid attention to it. And they looked identical in the flask from one seller to the other, of course...

Each seller swearing that flasks of their great breeding were either stolen from the lab and sold to the competition, hence the price difference, or that they exchanged with the other sellers for divisions, and those little fuckers sell them at a third of their price to ruin them,, that's why all the others are dishonest... but not them!

Those were eventually deflasked and sold pretty much everywhere in the world, various prices, various photos, as seedlings of A x B, or C x self, etc... or even, when they grew a bit bigger as 'divisions' of the plant in photo, usually a gorgeous micranthum album. That's how the market works.

As for the very few plants with the In-Charm clonal name as a parent, there are very few around. But how many Rex x Mt Millais original ones are around? Or how many besseae from the Orchid Zone directly? The Orchid Zone was doing a few thousands besseae a year, for over 15 years. If there are 50 alive worldwide, that would be already amazing...

I do remember when I did a few thousands delenatii a year for a Dutch Paph grower, unfortunately no longer in business. He deflasked and grew the plants beautifully to blooming size. Great plants, and strong.

None, but absolutely none, were alive 5 years later in any collection. So out of the flasks of sanderianum In Charm x Shin Yi, I am not surprised if only 5 max 10 plants are alive, and that's already a lot.

Last edited:
Someone might have a better photo.

Borneo.jpg
“Boroneo?” Who dat?

Latest posts

Back