Paph. rothschildianum ('Borneo Dark' x 'Dark Chocolate')

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty nice. Good job growing up in your area. People are commenting on flower count. Like I said pretty much all roths can get 4 flowers many 5. It is mostly cultural. Where those roths are being grown arent ideal cultural conditions unless many expensive supplementations are made. Bloom those in the hands of good roth culture in california or florida on mature plants you get 4 flowers maybe 5. Thanks for the pics!

that color is excellent. some of the best pouch color ive seen.. but why only 2 flowers on those? that seems really low..

Actually they all had at least 3 flowers (most had 2 open flowers at the time with still one bud to open), and one (the one I shot with the whole plant) had 4 flowers. And keep in mind these are all first time bloomers, so next time when the plants are larger they probably with all have at least 4 flowers, and like Paphioland mentioned the number of flowers also depends a lot on culture.

Robert

I will take it if you donèt want it!!! :D :D :D

For me, I want something average, but that is much more robust to grow and easier to bloom tham something that is Wow, but only bloom once every 5-6 years. lol Beside, its rothschildianum. Even average one is still Wow.

Actually they all had at least 3 flowers (most had 2 open flowers at the time with still one bud to open), and one (the one I shot with the whole plant) had 4 flowers. And keep in mind these are all first time bloomers, so next time when the plants are larger they probably with all have at least 4 flowers, and like Paphioland mentioned the number of flowers also depends a lot on culture.

Robert

Good job in a hard climate. How old are those roths now?

Super color, Robert! The form and flower count aren't spectacular, but who's counting. I wouldn't kick them out of bed for eating crackers! -Ernie
I second this with one restriction, I wouldn't be that critical with regard to the flower shape! Ok, the petals arn't horizontal and slightly hanging but altogether this blooms are above average!! :drool::drool::drool::drool:
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

In the same way that a nice fresh paint job can downplay other possibly less appealing aspects of a room, the spectacular color on these makes it hard to spot any faults! Those are really nice!!!

I was fortunate to purchase this cross a few years ago and I am certainly glad I did when I saw the first pictures of this cross. One of mine bloomed last Spring and it had the best color of the three roth's I had in bloom at the time. I don't think the size of the blooms will ever challenge some of the more recent awarded clones, but who cares if you want blooms with intense color. A keeper indeed!!

Great breeding Robert!!

WOW!! Robert those are just "AWESOME", I like everything about them color, shape and of course the pictures. thanks... Jim.

:clap::clap: Saw this cross & a couple others on the sales table at the IOS show yesterday!:drool: Show hours Sun. 10-5.

There are two on display area, too, in the Orchids, Limited exhibit at the Illinois Orchid Society show. There's still time to get there.

Latest posts

Back