Paph roth. Mt. Milais

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your point but I suprised as a geneticist you may take the nurture too far. LOL. I am not an amazing grower or anything. At this moment in my life I don't have the time to be. I don't always repot when I should. I don't always adjust the shade cloth when it should be. I don't supplement with lights when the days get shorter. I don't have multiple greenhouses so I can have three seperate conditions to grow my plants in. I can say this however. I have yet to rebloom an OZ plant and have it be sig worse than it was the first time. Sometimes the same, sometimes better. I am sure that if it was a multi and Frank grew down in Florida it would bloom better than I could. I am sure that if it were a complex or almost anything else and Terry grew it, the flower would be better than I could. Much of my stuff from the OZ are first bloomm seedlings bought in bloom. As the plant gets more mature the flowers get better. If your growing conditions are not ideal for the plant the flower may stay the same.

Obviously if you wanted you could make culture or environment the ulitmate factor. Like if you don't water for a month, most of your plants will die (some may survive due to genetics). Or stop fertilizing all together with RO water, your plants will slowly die or have serious issues. Stop giving them light, have no air movement etc etc.

As long as you do things 75% right genetics are very important in flower quality. So for most people on this forum I would say genetics of the flower are more important. Culture is also still very important but as long as it is decent, not as much as some think.

Look at how many complexes have to be bloomed to get great ones, even at the OZ where the conditions are ideal. Hundreds to thousands?? Depending on the cross.

I guess what I am saying is that under extreme environmental conditions genetics can always be trumped. Genetics is always stuggling to keep up with relatively minor changes in environment though out the history of life. However, under somewhat stable conditions genetics creates most of the variability, if this weren't true there would be no life at all.

Last edited:
Well, Ken is right about the roth Frank Smith. but the St Swithin 'Crystelle ' FCC is my remake tht I made in the late 80's that has receiver many awards over the years including another FCC on a plant owned by Charles Alford. Also the Michael Koopowitz 'KS AM/AOS GM/19/WOC that was the WOC Grand Champion is from my cross that receiver an AQ several years ago. We flowered several hundred of these in the mid 90's and saved about 50 of each cross to grow on and see their potential. I think that I had 8 of these MK's in the WOC Exhibit. Also, I would like to thank all of you for the kind comments about our exhibit and plants. We worked very hard so that all of you could enjoy our plants and your trip to the WOC.

Hello Frank. Thanks for the clarification. :) You are prob the best multifloral grower in the world. Your lowii's are to die for as well.

Your display was amazing from the pics. Also you were flat out robbed at the WOC from what I have heard and seen. Politics is a *****. I am sorry you worked so hard and weren't recognized as you should have been. I think the knowledgable people in the world know you won best display though.

I have heard you do have MM x self plants. I don't know if this is true but if it is do you find them to be less vigorous? I find mine to be.

Frank what is the backround on Krull's color magic? I am curious because it looks a little different than most rex x mm? It might be I can't tell from the pics. Can you help me out?

Hello Ken, I do have a couple hunred MM x self and don't see them to be that slow. I have made a couple dozen sibs and out crosses with the plants I got from Terry, MM, Excelsor, Admiral, and several other selected roths to see if we can get these to flower any faster. Plants like MM Admiral and a few of the other jungle plants are a little slower to flower but the seelings from Crystelle grows like weeds. As you know the hybrid I made of Roth Crystelle and Double Trix(another plant from OZ) flowered 2 years out of flask. I had one of these get 97 pts(FCC) last weekend. I have several seedlings of roth Crystelle x roth 'KS' FCC in spike now only 4 years out of flask. I think it is all up to the individual roth on how fast the seedlings are.

thanks for the info. Yeah I guess you are the wrong person to ask about mm x self since you grow all multis like weeds. LOL. Have you seen any extraordinary flowers from mm x self? I would imagine if you outcrossed a good one you would get the vigor back and could make some great roths.

I have one more question. What is your opinion on the "real mm" and the "other mm" clones that people say were passed of as MM dishonestly by a worker at EYOF. Is this true? It is all lore to me and I would love to know your take on it. To me the one used by the OZ is the one I value just because it made the great rex x mm.

congrats on the high fcc. That is a great cross and I really like that direction of breeding, keep up the good work!

rex x mm

There are no AOS awarded mm x self clones. Crystelle is a gorgeous roth.

Crystelle is MM x Rex from OZ. I no nothing about another MM (other) I also got an FCC of 95 points on lowii 'Frank Smith last week. It is really amazing. I wish everyone could see it. You should plan to come down in November for the Int. Paph Sym. We always have a good time.

Crystelle is MM x Rex from OZ. I no nothing about another MM (other) I also got an FCC of 95 points on lowii 'Frank Smith last week. It is really amazing. I wish everyone could see it. You should plan to come down in November for the Int. Paph Sym. We always have a good time.

That is not suprising with your Lowii LOL. Congrats.

I don't know about the other mm either. There are all these crazy stories being passed around that the rhs one is not the aos one and so on. I was hoping you might be able to clarify all these stories. Oh well. What was the ns on your amazing Lowii? Maybe I will come down for that thanks for the info.

Hello Frank. Thanks for the clarification. :) You are prob the best multifloral grower in the world.

After seeing how every plant in the Krull-Smith display was so ridiculously well grown I don't think that I would limit Frank to being the best multifloral paph grower in the world. In my humble opinion he may be the best grower in the world, period! Everything in the display appeared to have near perfect culture. Lots of the displays were great but this one stood out to me and everyone I talked to as the best of all by far.

e-spice

Latest posts

Back