Paph richardianum and haynaldianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
A couple more plants from Quintal Farms for our show (canceled )
The Paph richardianum is a paler form of the species. When the buds formed they were solid green. I was hoping for an album. It's still cool

20200401_203029.jpg 20200401_203048.jpg

haynaldianum with a up right spike
20200401_203734.jpg 20200401_203616.jpg

A side by side for size comparison
20200401_203752.jpg

The lowii complex (lowii, haynaldianum, richardianum, etc) has always been an enigma to me. Their similarities melds into each other. Studying the differences, and seeing them in real life, makes me appreciate that they really are very different. Thanks for posting.

These are two very nice and impressive flowers. Good to see them side by side.

........The Paph richardianum is a paler form of the species.......

The differences between P. lowii and P. lowii var. richardianum are very striking and don't reduce to the paler colouration. I'm no taxonomist but I'm not really lucky with its state to be a varity not a true species.

Last edited:
Nowerdays the tendency is going Always more and more to the species-level for Paph. richardianum. The Problem inthe beginning were the Pictures of the typeplant which showed us a floppy form of lowii. The other Problem was that there are not so many plants of richardianum are in culture. But the differences in shape and near plastic-like c
onsistency o​
f the Flower are great enough for the Status as distinct species. Here the Picture of the type in Orchid Digest 52 - 3 - 120 - 1988

Best greetings

Olaf
Paphiopedilum richardianum Typus Orchid Digest 52 - 3 - 120 - 1988 richardianum parishii.jpg

wow that's certainly in the ugly duckling category ;-) i'm wondering how many type specimen descriptions and photos are actually this far away from existing cultivars on the market. I have a compot of intaniae that i'm hoping 15 years from now (assuming any actually survive) won't turn out to be a huge disappointment.

Pictures don't really capture haynaldianums color spectrum, they are very vibrant, and very different from lowii and it's varities... richardianum used to be a lowii v. Not sure if it still is

I saw this richardianum last summer at a friend’s GH and it was spectacular. The violet petals shone brilliantly in the sun.

It unfortunately did not make it through the year. Such sadness with the loss of this beautiful plant.

26A40EEC-6603-49E6-BC04-8D3EED6E05AF.jpeg B9A5F748-F7F6-4D7C-B169-5BEFAC97EAFB.jpeg B77F7F86-B723-4B3C-8D5A-4500002DAD59.jpeg

UPDATE
well it only took 30 days for my second richardianum to open its first flower of 3. Much better then the first one I posted above.
20200430_190101.jpg
Here is the first plant still hanging in there. Look how white the petal tips are compared to this second plant.20200430_190007.jpg
Lastly, the 3rd plant has started to open but not there yet. It's even a bit more darker than this second plant

Last edited:
The second plant flowers is more colorful.
I wonder if the first plant's flower lost color from age? Or did it open like that?
I wanna see what's in door 3 please.

When comparing the fresh flower pic above (#1)with the 30+ day old flower pic there are two different backgrounds but I would say it has faded.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back