Paph. platyphyllum 'Super Clone x sib' first bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we are:

http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphplatyphyllum.htm
I suspect it depends too on the kolopakingii or topperii types used in the ancestry. kolo x stonei became very popular to do when people realized it could give expensive 'platyphyllum', after all... and some used topperii or kolopakingii as a parent, one being green the other more brown

Perhaps the included article about the history of Paph. platyphyllum can help you for clearing your questions.

Attachments

• Orchid Digest -Paph. platyphyllum - Page 1 (5 Dateien zusammengefügt).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I would like to see platyphylum compared to a known cross of kolo x stonei in that article.

I recently acquired one of the 'Ruth Kennedy x sib' plants from a grower who passed away. The plant dates back to 1994 so I have no reason to doubt it's origin. The leaves are pretty flat but don't resemble either kolo or stonei. It is likely a sister or maybe even the same plant described in this older post: Paph. platyphyllum

Attachments

• 20240106_113905.jpg
    20240106_113905.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240106_113928.jpg
    20240106_113928.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Perhaps the included article about the history of Paph. platyphyllum can help you for clearing your questions.
Thank you so much for providing this article. This is turning into a very interesting thread. After reading some of the other replies I now find myself wondering if I also have one of the hybrids. I've just measured the longest leaf on the first growth of my plant and it is 40 cm long and 8-9 cm wide. The inflorescence is 63 cm long and has five flowers on the first bloom. The back of the dorsal is very light brown with a faint brown stripe on either side and the underside of the dorsal is mostly cream coloured with some very, very light green in areas. The pouch on the lower two blooms are angled, as mentioned in the article. It certainly resembles the flowers in this article but like the above writer noted it would be helpful to see platyphyllum compared to the kolo x stonei cross as it may resemble that flower even more! I grow my "platyphyllum" beside a stonei and the "platyphyllum" is definitely the more vigorous grower of the two. Perhaps I should try to get it to a judging session just to stir the pot a bit further! Thank you again for the information.

since this is turning into a 'super clone' thread.. here's mine...
got it from Sam during a 2015 or '16 visit...

he had one in flower and frankly just said 'you need to have one of these' (he was always right - and my pocket book never minded)

gosh i miss the man... View attachment 44590View attachment 44589
That second from the top flower shows a very good example of the angled pouch mentioned in the Orchid Digest article. Two of my flowers have angled pouches too.

R Garrison i couldn't quite make out the tag....
what is the complete number listed on that tag...
I did get quite a few multi's from Sam before he closed up shop.... i will look at what i got from him.... I know I have
"platyphyllums" just not sure what the breeding was...
interested to see if these are same as yours or anyone else's

I would like to see platyphylum compared to a known cross of kolo x stonei in that article.

I recently acquired one of the 'Ruth Kennedy x sib' plants from a grower who passed away. The plant dates back to 1994 so I have no reason to doubt it's origin. The leaves are pretty flat but don't resemble either kolo or stonei. It is likely a sister or maybe even the same plant described in this older post: Paph. platyphyllum

That's something you will never see hehe... The same as the thousands of Sunlight Sky Roths that were produced are not to be seen anywhere either, or the benches of rothschildianum 'Rex' x 'Mt Kinabalu' from the Orchid Zone in the 90s.

You need platyphyllum Ruth Kennedy or its progeny ( that you seem to have), and if you reread they said there is no variation in the selfings of it...

Then you need kolo x stonei and F1 F2 of them as well. You won't find them easily for sale if anywhere, even if AnTec did produce masses of them and released them honestly.

The reason is simple, it was more profitable to sell them as platyphyllum. The same as it was more profitable to sell Rex x Mt Kinabalu as Rex x Mt Millais.... or Bruno hybrids as spicerianum. Faster, easier to germinate, bigger...

R Garrison i couldn't quite make out the tag....
what is the complete number listed on that tag...
I did get quite a few multi's from Sam before he closed up shop.... i will look at what i got from him.... I know I have
"platyphyllums" just not sure what the breeding was...
interested to see if these are same as yours or anyone else's
IMG_2551.jpeg
I also found a list from Sam circa 2015 that references the cross from which super clone originated…IMG_2552.png

Latest posts

Back