Paph. platyphyllum 'Super Clone x sib' first bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lori.b

Reaction score
14CD982B-6B95-4EC8-929C-86D0907C19AE.jpeg37B4C058-8B60-4F97-A568-7ED5E0597554.jpeg58CE37CD-0470-4792-8223-036828ACC30F.jpeg6D7D6BC8-E21F-47A4-8EB3-57589B72801E.jpeg
Got this as a seedling in February, 2020 and it now has a 30" ls with a large second growth and the start of a third growth. Super Clone is right! It originated from Sam however I purchased it from a nursery here in Canada. It still somehow fits under the lights on the lower shelf of my light stand but it's getting pretty tight.

This is really nice. Any idea on the parentage of Super Clone? Curious how it might relate to the original handful that were collected.

This is really nice. Any idea on the parentage of Super Clone? Curious how it might relate to the original handful that were collected.
Sorry, no. Unfortunately Sam has retired and so has the seller who sold me the seedling. There must be some other Super Clones out there so maybe if we're lucky this thread will get someone's attention and they might have some information to offer. I'm curious too because this plant has grown so well and so quickly.

Sorry, no. Unfortunately Sam has retired and so has the seller who sold me the seedling. There must be some other Super Clones out there so maybe if we're lucky this thread will get someone's attention and they might have some information to offer. I'm curious too because this plant has grown so well and so quickly.
Beautiful!!
Lori I can't add anything to the history of the 'Super Clone' cross but I did pick up two plants from Sam when he sold out. One is 'Super Clone' x self. The other is 'Golden Boy' x self. Neither have the plant structure of yours. Both of mine are very pendulous in their growth habit. Yours is a very special Super Clone cross with its upright leaves!

Beautiful!!
Lori I can't add anything to the history of the 'Super Clone' cross but I did pick up two plants from Sam when he sold out. One is 'Super Clone' x self. The other is 'Golden Boy' x self. Neither have the plant structure of yours. Both of mine are very pendulous in their growth habit. Yours is a very special Super Clone cross with its upright leaves!
Thanks for that information. It'll be interesting to see how your Super Clone blooms. I was quite surprised to see five flowers on the first bloom on my plant but like I said, the plant is huge. Yes the leaves have been growing quite upright but the mature leaves on the blooming growth are more floppy. Maybe the young leaves grow upward toward the light? It's difficult to get a picture of the entire plant but I can try.

Really quite special. I have one of the super clone selfings just getting up to size after years of setbacks, it has upright leaves like yours.

since this is turning into a 'super clone' thread.. here's mine...
got it from Sam during a 2015 or '16 visit...

he had one in flower and frankly just said 'you need to have one of these' (he was always right - and my pocket book never minded)

gosh i miss the man... IMG_2543.jpgIMG_2542.jpg

The problem with platyphyllum is that it goes along with primulinum and spicerianum...

In the 90's AnTec did a cross of stonei x kolopakingii, a part went to Florida to be grown for them as well. From those plants, a lot of 'platyphyllum' were selected and spread around the world, not by AnTec.

The real platyphyllum was known as 2 plants, though there were at least 2-3 more that existed at a point.

https://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/people/tanaka/orchid/org/shinshu/enshinshu41.html
'Ruth Kennedy' was selfed a couple of times in the 90's. It has quite short, very wide leaves, a bit stoneish, and rough on the surface like a stonei. The selfings were not that vigorous, except for a few oddballs...

The bulk of platyphyllum came from those stonei x kolopakingii hybrids in fact. The cross is registered as Mem. Albert Eickhoff. It was done both ways, stonei x kolo, and kolo x stonei, and both with kolopakingii and topperii type as 'kolopakingii'.

Now to recognize if it is the artificial hybrid or platyphyllum, that's easy:

- Ruth Kennedy had shorter, wide leaves
- The dorsal back color of it and its selfings is white
- There are brown/dark stripes in the dorsal.

Similar to the picture of Dr. Tanaka website.

That was constant in all Ruth Kennedy progeny, which was the only ever propagated platypyllyum. Before, it was known as stonei var. latifolium. The real platyphyllum is very rare in cultivation.

The hybrids usually have either a greenish dorsal, or faint lines only in the dorsal, plus some have floppy leaves like kolopakingii too.

"The hybrids usually have either a greenish dorsal, or faint lines only in the dorsal, plus some have floppy leaves like kolopakingii too."

that sounds and looks like mine.... faint lines in the dorsal... broad somewhat floppy leaves

I have a 'Super Clone'x self starting to open, it looks like it will have an unmarked or barely marked dorsal.

20240105_140029_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Also have a 'Golden Boy' x self in bud which has bloomed previously in 2021.

20240105_140118_copy_2000x1500.jpg

Previous bloom:

img_5_1704481411996.jpg
img_3_1704481390083.jpg

If these platyphyllum are truly an artificial hybrid they are remarkably consistent when selfed or sibbed.

I have a 'Super Clone'x self starting to open, it looks like it will have an unmarked or barely marked dorsal.

View attachment 44618

Also have a 'Golden Boy' x self in bud which has bloomed previously in 2021.

View attachment 44619

Previous bloom:

View attachment 44620
View attachment 44621

If these platyphyllum are truly an artificial hybrid they are remarkably consistent when selfed or sibbed.

They are not that consistent after all, if you look at F2 Saint Swithin or Lady Isabel, you see what I meanm it is not like some will look like a stonei or some like a kolopakingii, both species are quite 'close' after allm so there is a continuum of variations between the two species.

If you google the photos of platyphyllum, you see some tending more towards stonei, and some more towards topperii/kolopakingii.

None of those artificial ones come even close in flower to the 'Ruth Kennedy', the only true platyphyllum to have been propagated, if you look at the photos.

As well, we are now at least in the F3 from the original hybrid, and that's the same problem as the Sunlight Sky Roths, they are indeed quite 'constant' in looking like a rothschildianum as an example...

They are not that consistent after all, if you look at F2 Saint Swithin or Lady Isabel, you see what I meanm it is not like some will look like a stonei or some like a kolopakingii, both species are quite 'close' after allm so there is a continuum of variations between the two species.

If you google the photos of platyphyllum, you see some tending more towards stonei, and some more towards topperii/kolopakingii.

None of those artificial ones come even close in flower to the 'Ruth Kennedy', the only true platyphyllum to have been propagated, if you look at the photos.

As well, we are now at least in the F3 from the original hybrid, and that's the same problem as the Sunlight Sky Roths, they are indeed quite 'constant' in looking like a rothschildianum as an example...

Do you have any pics of ones that look like a stonei? I've only seen a handful of platyphyllum and they've all looked more similar to kolopakingii like the op plant and mine.

Latest posts

Back