Paph. philippinense var. compactum f. aureoviride

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vegetative differences is one of the criteria for variety separation in taxonomy FYI.
Of course it is, but one wonders, whether compact growthwise and "slightly smaller blooms", if no other morphological or vegetative differences are apparent, would suffice for variety separation? It might, though, maybe be enough for 'fma. compactum', if you are in the camp of 'taxonomic spreaders'?

(And if so, the recently blooming Catt. bowringiana on my window sill might suddenly aspire to a new and elevated taxonomic status as 'fma. compactum'! If just I could find a plant or two with the same growthwise in nature....Belize, here we go! 🛫 🌞)

Of course it is, but one wonders, whether compact growthwise and "slightly smaller blooms", if no other morphological or vegetative differences are apparent, would suffice for variety separation? It might, though, maybe be enough for 'fma. compactum', if you are in the camp of 'taxonomic spreaders'?

(And if so, the recently blooming Catt. bowringiana on my window sill might suddenly aspire to a new and elevated taxonomic status as 'fma. compactum'! If just I could find a plant or two with the same growthwise in nature....Belize, here we go! 🛫 🌞)
Indeed yes, a varietal designation can be separated by size alone of leaves as a variety. Forma is based on color variations only.

That is of course if the plants stays compact and flowers small. If it grows to be normal like the type form, then it will be relegated to the forma alboflavum/aureoviride/album or var. philippinense (or whatever is the accepted taste of the day ;) ).

Caveat: My opinion statements above are to the best to my knowledge as a studier of taxonomy for researching my papers. Hopefully a qualified taxonomist can jump in to settle the issue if I stand corrected lol.

Last edited:
Back