Paph. Michael Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started to read the post, the photograph was off-screen. I was not expecting it to be as dramatic as the pictures showed it to be. Nice pictures of a very lovely plant, congratulations, you must be very proud of that!

We had about 2 hours of sunlight today, so it was bright enough for me to drag my camera out again. Trying to take pictures of the MK, I realized I need a new camera, because mine is just horrible at focusing when taking pictures at a distance... Either that, or get a tripod... I tried to do my new favourite Paph justice, but it turned out a bit so-so. Anyway, the pictures show off the important stuff at least, so that's okay. :D

15911741006_9693b2996c_b.jpg

15315288734_ee232501e1_b.jpg

Those petals... I'm so happy they've twisted as much as they have, and the petals on the first flower are now 47-48 cm (around 18.5"). Now I think they're really done growing:
15317907933_c57a9c36fc_b.jpg

15751497669_3d6c97db2a_b.jpg

MK is a great hybrid. Very easy to grow and free blooming. Love 'em
I've now joined the "love MK" crowd, too (just liked them earlier). I think it has gotten me even more hooked on multis, as well. I was thinking, since I'm a windowsill grower and thus can't provide optimal conditions, maybe I should get some more multi hybrids. Any other multi hybrids that's as easy as the MK?

When I started to read the post, the photograph was off-screen. I was not expecting it to be as dramatic as the pictures showed it to be. Nice pictures of a very lovely plant, congratulations, you must be very proud of that!
YES! I'm so proud of it that it's ridiculous. I found it so captivating that it managed to jolt me up from the dark hole I had, metaphorically, dug myself into. I absolutely love it. :smitten:

Fantastic flower. I am very fond of this cascading presentation and same reason I don't stake my multiflorals. (Except rothschildianum, that one I want it pointing to the heavens as much as possible)

Fantastic flower. I am very fond of this cascading presentation and same reason I don't stake my multiflorals. (Except rothschildianum, that one I want it pointing to the heavens as much as possible)
When/if any of my roths flower, I'll probably stake it. I agree that the flowers on roths look better when the spike is upright, rather than like this. :D

Last edited:
Angel Hair is fairly easy.
Hmm... That's a rather nice hybrid. Is Paph. Mount Sanders as easy, to grow as well? Always good to have more options. The only other multiflora Paph hybrid I own, is a young PEoY. It has grown pretty well so far, but I don't know how difficult/easy it is compared to an MK.

Hmm... That's a rather nice hybrid. Is Paph. Mount Sanders as easy, to grow as well? Always good to have more options. The only other multiflora Paph hybrid I own, is a young PEoY. It has grown pretty well so far, but I don't know how difficult/easy it is compared to an MK.

I personally haven't had much success with multis with stonei in the background. Maybe the philip in it will help. With half roth, PEoY may be harder to bloom, relatively speaking, then Angel Hair. I have a Gary Romagna x sand, and it's been 3 years since it bloomed.

Oh, another one you may want to try is Screaming Eagle (Bernice (lowii x philip.) x sand.) (which reminds me, I'd love to find another one for myself)

Michael Koopowitz was one of the first Paphs i ever got about 12 years ago and when it flowered that winter i could hardly believe how cool it was. It was the source of my Paph obsession ever since. (and it has regularly bloomed about every 2 years for me since then!)

PEOY is easy to grow but much more difficult to bloom than Michael Koopowitz. (i have never bloomed one). I think roth is actually easier to boom than PEOY.

Saint Swithin is another good multi cross that can be easy.

You are lucky to have a very nice MK with great coloration. It is a keeper!

That is a really nice MK. It is also a keeper!

You are becoming a Master Orchid Grower!

I agree with others about Angel Hair and Screaming Eagle.

I personally haven't had much success with multis with stonei in the background. Maybe the philip in it will help. With half roth, PEoY may be harder to bloom, relatively speaking, then Angel Hair. I have a Gary Romagna x sand, and it's been 3 years since it bloomed.

Oh, another one you may want to try is Screaming Eagle (Bernice (lowii x philip.) x sand.) (which reminds me, I'd love to find another one for myself)
Oooh, that was a really nice cross! Need to put that one on my wishlist. Don't know how difficult it'll be to get here in Europe, though.

Michael Koopowitz was one of the first Paphs i ever got about 12 years ago and when it flowered that winter i could hardly believe how cool it was. It was the source of my Paph obsession ever since. (and it has regularly bloomed about every 2 years for me since then!)

PEOY is easy to grow but much more difficult to bloom than Michael Koopowitz. (i have never bloomed one). I think roth is actually easier to boom than PEOY.

Saint Swithin is another good multi cross that can be easy.

You are lucky to have a very nice MK with great coloration. It is a keeper!
Well, I was obsessed with Paphs already, but my MK didn't make it better. :rollhappy: It's like you have to see these orchids flower IRL to realize their greatness.

Okay, I'll not tell my PEoY your said that and it might be easier to flower (or it'll just join my sulkers).

I feel very lucky, since this is the only MK I have. Trust me, this one will stay. No doubt about it.

That is a really nice MK. It is also a keeper!

You are becoming a Master Orchid Grower!

I agree with others about Angel Hair and Screaming Eagle.
I've checked my usual vendors for Angel Hair and Screaming Eagle. No luck. I think they might be hard to get in Europe. Hopefully, I'm very wrong. :D

Congratulations, your plant is even more breathtaking than it was before (if that is possible)
Philippinense tends to make easy to grow and flower hybrids. So hybrids like St Swithin, Moustache and Gary Romagna are a good place to start. St Swithin should be very easy to find as well. A well grown and flowered St Swithin is a 'show stopper', (exactly the reason why they commonly take the 'grand champion' at shows. An old hybrid, but still hard to beat.

Question (if anyone's interested in answering): When do the petals stop growing? I thought they were done on the first flower, only to discover that they're now ca 19". They don't grow as fast as they did before, but apparently they're still going. The flower has been completely open for 9 days now, so shouldn't they be done? I'm not complaining, just a first-time-flowering-sanderianum-hybrid owner, so I'm very curious.

Congratulations, your plant is even more breathtaking than it was before (if that is possible)
Philippinense tends to make easy to grow and flower hybrids. So hybrids like St Swithin, Moustache and Gary Romagna are a good place to start. St Swithin should be very easy to find as well. A well grown and flowered St Swithin is a 'show stopper', (exactly the reason why they commonly take the 'grand champion' at shows. An old hybrid, but still hard to beat.
Thank you Gary. It's a struggle not to bring it with me when I go grocery shopping. :rollhappy:

Hmm... I think I need to start a separate thread for the enabling of Mutant's Paph obsession.

That is a real show stopper you have there. I to enjoy the stance your spike took on.
Your plant displays more sanderianum then most so the petals may continue to elongate a bit more. The nineteen inches is right in the normal range for MKs. But the next time it blooms and many more after, the petals could reach into the 20 inch zone! I believe Frank Smith's awarded MK was well into the twenties.

Oh, oh oh - those photographs are wonderful and addictive - danger zone!! Now I want a MK, too!

That is a real show stopper you have there. I to enjoy the stance your spike took on.
Your plant displays more sanderianum then most so the petals may continue to elongate a bit more. The nineteen inches is right in the normal range for MKs. But the next time it blooms and many more after, the petals could reach into the 20 inch zone! I believe Frank Smith's awarded MK was well into the twenties.
Thank you for the nice comment and for answering my question. :D Let's just say I hope it'll increase in petal length next time it flowers (as well as flower count)! I'm so greedy. :rollhappy:

I think I've seen pictures of some of those awarded MKs. They're really something else. :drool:

Oh, oh oh - those photographs are wonderful and addictive - danger zone!! Now I want a MK, too!
Get one! Now! Order one from Sam, then you know that you'll most likely get a good looking one, too. :D

Cannot import from overseas I'm afraid. Here is the pic of Berenice, taken right now. Three growths, all growing, great roots:

PC062067.jpg

From Elsner, it came already with three growths. The rule, laying on top of pot, has 50cm - so you can see how big the plant actually is.

Wow... That's one big plant. :eek:

I just realized I need a bigger apartment. :rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back