Paph. Michael Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
I felt my first multiflora Paph deserved a thread of its own. This was one of those expensive "will flower reasonably soon"-Paphs, that I got... Was it one or two years ago? Can't remember now, and I can't bother to check either. :p

Anyway, it had no roots, but it has been growing rather well since I got it. It now has one mature growth, one half grown, and one little upstart.

I took pictures of it today, despite the fact that it hasn't opened all three flowers yet. I don't know if we'll get any more sunlight within the next few months (yes, it has been that bad), so better safe than sorry.

Super, expert, photographer Mutant manages to cut off the petals. Go me! Love that boldly marked dorsal:
15851674646_0bfd3922c2_b.jpg

Managed to get all of those pesky petals in the picture this time (they're 15" or 38-39cm on the fully opened flower and I think they won't get any longer):
15255222874_93b358cf11_b.jpg

EDIT:
Updated pictures.

15911741006_9693b2996c_b.jpg

15315288734_ee232501e1_b.jpg

Those petals... I'm so happy they've twisted as much as they have, and the petals on the first flower are now 47-48 cm (around 18.5"). Now I think they're really done growing:
15317907933_c57a9c36fc_b.jpg

15751497669_3d6c97db2a_b.jpg

Last edited:
The famous "NFS" size. I have many plants NFS size. I feel they intend to flower in the next decade, so I have to exercise my patience!

Your Michael Koopowitz is very nice!! Well grown and vigorous!

Lovely flowers! And well grown plant too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koopowitz is one of my favorites. Very nice example. Everyone can be an "expert" photographer with orchids, as they are very obedient subjects. Please post more when the 3rd flower opens.

Thanks for all the nice comments, people. I've forwarded your praise to my MK, and it has started to look a bit smug.

The famous "NFS" size. I have many plants NFS size. I feel they intend to flower in the next decade, so I have to exercise my patience!

Your Michael Koopowitz is very nice!! Well grown and vigorous!

It seems to depend on where the plants come from. At least here in Europe. Some that are advertised as blooming sized, will flower pretty soon after getting home, while others won't.

Considering my MK had no viable roots when I got it, I would say it has done a nice comeback.

That is a nice clone. Lovely red petals. Worth the wait.
Love the petals on it. I can finally see why people like sanderianum and its hybrids, because those petals are just amazing. Seems they grew some more, they're about 42cm now (16 1/2"). I really thought it was done.

Koopowitz is one of my favorites. Very nice example. Everyone can be an "expert" photographer with orchids, as they are very obedient subjects. Please post more when the 3rd flower opens.
They are indeed. It's usually my camera that's causing me problems when I photograph the orchids. It's old, and it needs a lot of light to take decent pictures.

If the weather allows it (due to aforementioned light issue), more pictures will come later.

Looks like you've made it grow roots nicely. Congrats! Nice flower.

I looked at some pictures I took of it when it had just arrived. It really didn't have any roots at all. Luckily, it turned out to be a vigorous plant, and it started to grow some almost immediately. I repotted it too soon, which made it sulk for about 6 months.

I've repotted it since and almost couldn't get it out of the pot due to the amount of roots. No sulking this time, and it seems quite happy at the moment. :D

Latest posts

Back