Paph malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggshells

Humongous Gnat
Reaction score
paph malipoense still in bud and slow to enlongate stem.

IMG_1247.jpg

Hope it opens soon.

Soon in orchid land could be 6 months for this species:poke::poke:

I have one in spike now too. Stems are finally up over a foot tall and the oldest bud very slowly expanding.

I've had them blast at this stage frequently so I'm sure the more I talk about it, the more likely I jinx it.

Soon in orchid land could be 6 months for this species:poke::poke:

I have one in spike now too. Stems are finally up over a foot tall and the oldest bud very slowly expanding.

I've had them blast at this stage frequently so I'm sure the more I talk about it, the more likely I jinx it.

How long did it take to elongate?

How long did it take to elongate?

I think the bracts first started showing in June/July. Stem elongation has gone in spurts.

The first succesfull blooming I had of this plant was just after I bought it (maybe 5 years ago). And the bloom was open late fall.

Since then its blasted (or I broke stems) every year, usually getting close to blooming in Spring (normal time for this species).

It actually had 3 spikes going this past spring, close but no cigar, so I'm surprised to see it spiking now (makes me nervous). After the last abort this spring I repotted into the basket system. Growth since then has been very good, so I think the plant has better momentum going into it for this blooming.

Eggshells--that looks like a very healthy plant.
Is that a lot of perlite in the mix?
JC

Yes large perlite and I just topped it off with dolomitic lime granules. However, I got this in bud so no credit for me growing it.

I say that if you can keep it cool you will have no probs keep it moist and cool it should be ready in about 3 months but like was said can take 6 Months from time of first evidence but you are on the right side of the winter,mine has blasted twice on a 20 inch spike because it got on to far into the spring COOL and Moist I say Best Regards don

Here in TX malies start budding in late summer to early fall then open the next spring. I blasted one by moving it. Thinking it would get too much light and a short stem. A second bloomed fine (I didn't move it) the next time the blasted one budded I didn't move it, it bloomed fine. I think it's too early for it to blast now. Normally, 8 to 16 inches or even taller it will blast if it's going to. Leave it alone and water normally.
P.S. my greenhouse gets down to 50*F at night always in the winter.

So the inflorescence seems to be growing tall. It is now 6 or 7" tall. I am growing this in a shelf under 2x24" T5 flourescent lights but I don't have any more space to adjust the lights. My friend and I figured to put it under MH light but I am not sure as it may be too bright. Any suggestions on how I can pull this off?

I had the same problem with my Paph malipoense last year... It grew under the fluo bulbs.... I put it near the border of the shelf and I trained the bloom on the upper shelf... A slightly distorted stem.

This year, as soon as I saw the bud, I put it near a window with other orchids. I add 2 compact fluos Vitalite near all the plants.

So the inflorescence seems to be growing tall. It is now 6 or 7" tall. I am growing this in a shelf under 2x24" T5 flourescent lights but I don't have any more space to adjust the lights. My friend and I figured to put it under MH light but I am not sure as it may be too bright. Any suggestions on how I can pull this off?

Stems on mine are both about 1 foot tall. Starting to get inflation/opening on one bud.

Mine is out in the GH but not in a very bright area. Maybe 1500 fc.

What is this? Are the like these CFL light bulbs? Do you think it will be ok under the 400w Metal Halide 5-6 feet distance. Along with the multiflorals?

That or it will blast before then.

ooooops!!! Bad memory!

Verilux 26 W Natural Spectrum Bulbs. Actually I only use it with other light source. Yes, they look like compact fluo bulbs. Easy to manage.

About your question on 400 Metal Halide 5-6 feet distance: Sorry, I don't grow with metal halide. I grow my plants mainly under HPS 1000 W, T12 fluos and T5. I also grew with something called Wonderlite (I think... Is my memory right???) a few years ago (a bulb with ballast. Mercure. Can be used with commun sockets.)

But according to what I know about HPS 1000 W, I think your plant can be grown under 6 feet distance of a MH 400W without problem... But I suggest you to increase the light gradually if possible... touch the leaves of your plant to see if they are not warm. I know a man who grows its orchids under one 400W Metal Halide and one 400W and he grows some Paphs and Phals at 4 to 5 ft from the nearest light. I think there was a spicerianum hybrid and an unknown complex. But that complex is tolerant of rather high light lever (I know that one very well since I gave it to him!!).

Actually, I think my malipoense is tolerant of bright light.

And remember you can shade plants with screen when grown under strong lights like metal halide and HPS. But take care of hight temperature! Do you exctract heat of the lamp??? (Don't know how to say that in English... My HPS 1000W is enclosed and the hot air is extract from the room.

Do you mean pumping out the excess heat? I don't think that heat will be a problem as it is winter right now. All multiflorals are growing fine under metal halide and a couple of small seedlings of cattleyas the room doesn't get above 25c. I'm going to put it under MH and used the roths and stonei leaves to shade it a bit. Hopefully it will still flower.

Here is the plant now. I have a feeling that I should stake this now.

IMG_1321.jpg

Latest posts

Back