Paph. Magic Lantern `Opalescent'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Here's what Paph. Magic Lantern (delenatii x micranthum) looks like when made with albino parents. I received this plant about five years ago as a seedling from Sherwood Orchids in California. Unfortunately, they are are no longer in business. This clone shows varying amounts of very pale veining in the petals depending upon the temperatures it's grown. Hope the flower lasts until the IOS show in Chicago next weekend!

Thanks,

Last edited:
I'm sure it's a refererence to the plant:evil: The flower size is 8.1 cm in natural spread; which is 1.1 cm smaller than the median of all ML awards according to Orchidwiz, but 0.8 cm larger than the 'Almost Albino' HCC/AOS clone awarded at the Pacific South Judging Center in 2006, so I think it has potential.

Thanks,

Tom, That is very nice! Are you planning to breed with it? At least try to self it after the show!

Robert

Hi Ernie/ Robert,

Ernie - I think I'm going to wait until the Chicago show next week to show it, but thanks for the offer. Robert - We will self it after the show, but selfing near albinos has produced very low germination rates in the past, so perhaps the better option might be to out-cross it to a normally colored ML clone, and then self or back-cross good examples of the F1 population. The other option, of course, is to remake the hybrid with albino clones.

Best Regards,

We have some albino delenatii's in bloom at the moment (one of them got an AM award). That might be nice to cross it with, and you may get some more germination than when you self it. Maybe we can do a pollen exchange...

Robert

Wow! This one has been on my wish list for years :drool: I saw one in bloom a number of years ago and it wasn't as nice as yours Tom! That's a great bloom :clap:

Congrats Tom, this is a lovely bloom with a great shape and it looks as if it was made from pure snow.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

We have some albino delenatii's in bloom at the moment (one of them got an AM award). That might be nice to cross it with, and you may get some more germination than when you self it. Maybe we can do a pollen exchange...

Robert

This sounds like a good cross.

I was thinking about this cross just the other day. I'm surprised we don't see more of them now that there are so many delenatii albums. Thanx for posting and good luck.

I was thinking about this cross just the other day. I'm surprised we don't see more of them now that there are so many delenatii albums. Thanx for posting and good luck.

I think it is more that the micranthum album's that are rare...,and you need both plants to make the Magic Lantern album's

Robert

Latest posts

Back