Paph. Magic Lantern 'Opalescent' JC-AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

A two growth division of this rare color variant, with each growth in bud. We tried selfing this clone three years ago and harvested the seed capsule after eight months. Unfortunately, there were no viable embryos.....still a beautiful flower, though.

Thanks,

Last edited:
By far the best magic lantern I have seen. Not only is the color amazing(or lack of color) but the form is great too. A dream plant for me, and I am sure Eric too. Hopefully you can propagate it sometime. You are very lucky to have this in your greenhouse Tom.

I forgot to ask, was this made with album parents or just by chance it came out like this from normally colored parents?

Hi All,

A two growth division of this rare color variant, with each growth in bud. We tried selfing this clone three years ago and harvested the seed capsule after eight months. Unfortunately, there were no viable embryos.....still a beautiful flower, though.

Thanks,

Please keep trying. This is one of the most beautiful plants and flowers I have ever seen.

Next time it flowers, if you could just try facing the east, hop on one foot, and chant your favorite mantra, while pollinating with a pure ivory toothpick, maybe - just maybe - there will be seed.

What about making an outcross and then make a sib-cross of some of the best progeny? Some are bound to turn out albinistic. Good luck!

We bought three seedlings of this grex from Sherwood Orchids in California around 2005: I think the business is now defunct. They were labelled Paph. Magic Lantern (delenatii v album x micranthum v album), so both parents were album forms. The remaining two seedlings were sold to customers during one of the Chicagoland Orchidfests prior to this clone blooming, and I'm not sure whether they survived....

Eric - I'm not sure whether Fred at SVO had any of these, but I'm pretty sure Sam Tsui was selling flasks made with the album forms a while back.

Scott - I'll try it, but first I'm soaking the ivory tooth-pick in an 18 yr old single malt scotch. In fact, I may try multiple pollinations....:wink:

Nik - Doing an outcross is not a bad idea, maybe with one of the more pale ML's. I have a light colored ML made with micranthum v eburneum that may fit the bill.

This blooming occured subsequent to the award (not sure of the venue, but it may have been Livonia). IMHO it's a better photo because there isn't as stark a contrast with the back-ground. Unfortunately, the Paph. Jennifer Kalina in the background isn't visible except for the label.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Beautiful flower.

Yes, my plant has survived.

Scott

Scott, next time it blooms try to get the pollen to Tom. It's your plant and probably not my business what you do with it, but it would be great to see these get propagated. A sib cross would be better than a selfing. I am so glad to hear another survived.

Tom,

That is REALLY beautiful! If you self it again, that's a good time to increase the potassium in your fertilizer for this plant. Contrary to popular belief, there are some times when higher levels of K are good, like when a plant is budding and making capsules. I'm a convert to low K; I've seen a lot of improvements in my plants since I stopped using 7-11-27 all the time. But, I've noticed that some of my easy blooming plants don't bloom now and some seed capsules abort after a few weeks. I've started introducing some high K fert on occassion for certain plants, depending on what they're doing. I understand that K is needed for flowering and fruiting, which is why it is good for crops like tomatoes and cucumbers, etc. We want those plants to bloom like crazy and produce a bumper crop in a short time. A few shots of Hydroponic fertilizer while the plant is carrying a capsule might do the trick for you. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back