Paph kolopakingii var. topperi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Paph kolopakingii var. topperi

I bought at AOS show this past weekend from Orchid Inn. It's a very big plant and flowers are scented. I am glad that I got a big plant - it has single growth but a new one is just emerging. I also bought a few paph seedlings that will take years to flower. But I know years will pass quickly so I am looking to flower these.
If anyone has suggestion on how to grow this species, please feel free to post here. It will be grown next to my phalaenopsis, maybe it will get more light.

Paph_kolopakingii_var_topperi_20110503a.JPG

Paph_kolopakingii_var_topperi_20110503b.JPG

Paph_kolopakingii_var_topperi_20110503p.JPG

Love this! I almost bought one of these from Sam two weeks ago. Who knows, maybe it is the same plant as it was still in bud then. Great buy!

I should also mention a bit about my experinence with culture of topperi.
In your picture the leaf on the leaf with the brown spot(s) I had that similar thing happen to my topperi when the greenhouse temperature got in the low 50's. The plant was in a sensitive spot. Once I moved the plant higher up and closer to the heater it stopped.

That's a good plant for you Peter. It has really big leaves!!

All of the kolos that I have grow fastest in fairly bright light.

If you have a good vanda spot put it under them.

Oh yes....I forgot. I grow my kolo warm and in Cattleya light.

PS....John, it was $120 here so it was a bit out of my comfort zone at the time. Any other time it would have come home with me; then Peter would have been out of luck by the time Sam got to him. :D

Sam had another one in flower too. Fragrance is a bit interesting. I don't know how to describe it. It's not offensive..but not sweet floral fragrance either.
I also bought a seedling of Paph (adductum 'Dark Cloud' X gigantifolum 'Dark Warrior'). I like the flowering plant at Sam's table but I think it was already sold.

I would love to get a Paph gigantifolum if it ever becomes legal to own one in the US.

Pssss... Sam sold tons of the gigantifolum second generation plants he made from the selfing of 'Dark Warrior' before the feds confiscated his parent plant and all his seedlings.

Sam had another one in flower too. Fragrance is a bit interesting. I don't know how to describe it. It's not offensive..but not sweet floral fragrance either.
I also bought a seedling of Paph (adductum 'Dark Cloud' X gigantifolum 'Dark Warrior'). I like the flowering plant at Sam's table but I think it was already sold.

I would love to get a Paph gigantifolum if it ever becomes legal to own one in the US.

Interesting is a polite way to describe the smell. Mine is in flower now and the smell reminds me of some of the more unpleasant smelling bulbophyllums! :eek:

Pssss... Sam sold tons of the gigantifolum second generation plants he made from the selfing of 'Dark Warrior' before the feds confiscated his parent plant and all his seedlings.

I don't know if Glenn Decker has any left. I don't know if Glenn's adults got confiscated.

nice bloom!! Mine (from Sam too) in a few weeks. First bloom too but on an older plant (first growth didn't bloom last year)

Stunning.

What are the clones involved in this cross. I have a topperi from Sam (Jeannie x Andy) that is similar in size to yours. Just wondering if it is the same cross.

David

the feds confiscated his parent plant and all his seedlings.

This is one of the main reasons I left New Zealand, this attitude was becoming more likely. Here in Aus you can get your hands on so much more.

Lovely, lovely plant! I'm more than a bit envious.

Latest posts

Back